• Tour of Oman stage 31 year 5 weeks agobasically anyone who missed

    basically anyone who missed the deadline, prob did well

  • Suspended sentence for lorry driver who killed cyclist and claimed he was unable to avoid hitting him1 year 5 weeks agoif this boils your piss then

    if this boils your piss then i urge you to write to your MP.
    google it, its free, its quick and its easy.
    no point moaning on the internet if you are not going to try and change things.

  • Cyclist's crash damages reduced because of 'contributory negligence': looking down at heart rate monitor1 year 5 weeks agofarrell wrote:I don't suppose

    farrell wrote:
    I don't suppose anybody can find out a bit more about the process through the courts for this incident?

    The accident happened in 2009 and the cyclist then sued the driver, it appears to me that the courts awarded him 70k for damages and now for some reason it has ended up back in court to get the damages reduced.

    Has the driver appealed in some way or something? Or is this standard procedure?

    The £70k is the actual award for damages and the way that is calculated is pretty standard and to do with loss and damages. Quite simply if your loss is a bike worth £5k but you break an arm and have 5 weeks off work and earn £1000 a week then that's 10k ie calculations like that but far more complex and with all sorts of whistles and bells. That's the damages judgement. Most times both solicitors know exactly what the judgement will be.

    BTW claims companies just load up the costs for all kinds of stuff and just keep adding their own costs as well and their costs become part of your costs that you claim. ie their solicitor charging £350 ph just to keep making the same old calls over and over.

    I digress. In this case the loss and damages and all expenses settled out at £70k.. The claimant was awarded this by the court (ie the court agreed that the real overall loss was £70k) but they deducted 25% because of his own contributory negligence.

    It's a pretty standard judgement.

  • Volta ao Algarve - Stage 21 year 5 weeks agoQuote:#VoltaAlgarve After

    Quote:
    #VoltaAlgarve After 13km Demare, Pichot & Senechal have 2'17"

    Quote:
    #VoltaAlgarve After 41km gap is 3'15"

  • Volta ao Algarve - Stage 21 year 5 weeks agoBreak Demare (FDJ) Pichot

    Break
    Demare (FDJ)
    Pichot (EUR)
    Senechal (COF)
    3'15 at 41k
    ...oops, who took Demare out?

  • Cyclist's crash damages reduced because of 'contributory negligence': looking down at heart rate monitor1 year 5 weeks agomtm_01 wrote:Scoob_84

    mtm_01 wrote:
    Scoob_84 wrote:
    Out of interest, what level of personal injury did the rider sustain from this incident to warrant the rather large payout?

    A similar incident happened to me yesterday on my morning commute through London. A driver pulled into the cycle/bus lane which I was occupying without indicating or checking the mirrors to see if I was there and took me out. My front wheel and fork now need replacing and I've sustained some soft tissue injury to my wrist and shoulder (backed up by a letter from a doctor).

    I've reported the incident to the police on 101, but have yet to fill out the more comprehensive Road Traffic collision form.

    You should've called the police on the spot - in theory if there's a road traffic accident and someone has been hunt they are obliged to attend the scene.

    Well i guess in the post crash daze i didn't think to do this. Although i went down pretty hard, it wasn't a serious incident where i was trapped under a car or had broken bones sticking out of me.

    When the adrenaline kicks in, its quite hard to know what your supposed to do, especially when it hasn't happened before.

  • Cyclist's crash damages reduced because of 'contributory negligence': looking down at heart rate monitor1 year 5 weeks agoGoldfever4 wrote:Or you're

    Goldfever4 wrote:
    Or you're training and you want to stay in a set HR zone?

    Because it is quite sensible to go out training on a dual carriageway with 70mph traffic flying past you? Thinking

  • Marianne Vos returns to UK to ride the Women's Tour in May1 year 5 weeks ago^^ definitely! (although

    ^^ definitely! (although maybe not for the others that are racing haha...poor things!!!)

    Testament to the fact that women's cycling in the UK should be taken as seriously as the men's and a finger in the face of that Councillor from Welwyn who said it was silly.

    Vos is without a doubt one of the greatest cyclists to have ever lived regardless of gender, if that doesn't give the sport here a boost then I'm not sure what would!

    I hope the public appreciate the monumental step forward this race is making for our countries sport.

    I am excite! <3

  • When's too many bikes enough ?1 year 5 weeks agoMaybe swimming against the

    Maybe swimming against the current here: had 5, now down to 3. Amazing how attached you can become to a collection of metal, rubber and plastic but seems alright to keep it simple. Preferably same wheel size and groupset too.

    Alas, no way I could have Campagnolo on the 'any weather, leave anywhere' bike.... !!

  • Cyclist's crash damages reduced because of 'contributory negligence': looking down at heart rate monitor1 year 5 weeks agonoizebox wrote:Does this

    noizebox wrote:
    Does this raise an issue for the use of any sort of cycle computer?

    Well yes it does. I think the finding is about right. You do need to look where you are going. The other road user may actually be negligent and at fault (this is the finding here hence the compensation) but if you aren't paying attention then you are at least partially to blame.

    Let's put that in another context. Let's say a cyclist waiting to turn right into a main road from a junction saw a car approching and pulled out in front of the because they thought the driver of the oncoming car would have enough time to slow down a bit. But the driver was playing with their radio or sat nav and not looking up at the road and didn't slow or stop.

    In this case the cyclist is at fault for the collision but the driver contributed by not paying attention or looking where they were going.

  • Tour of Oman stage 31 year 5 weeks agoCouldn't afford Sagan. I

    Couldn't afford Sagan. I dropped Griepel so I could but in Roelandts and Van Hecke. Crying

  • Chill the flip out - We have a Panda.1 year 5 weeks agoI hate Pandas so vastly much,

    I hate Pandas so vastly much, they just wind me up, I much prefer Koalas

  • Bike History1 year 5 weeks agoRed and white Raleigh BMX

    Red and white Raleigh BMX style bike I learnt to ride on (early 90's)
    Black and green Raleigh mountain bike with a crazy areo disc on the back wheel. It looked amazing (mid 90's)
    Red hand me down mountain bike I don't remember the make (late 90's early 00's)

    Claud Butler Windermere Trekking bike (2012) bought so I could commute to work after getting a new job. It lasted about a year before I wanted something faster.

    70's Trimuph Team Leader sexy as heck steel racer. Bought of ebay so I could ride with some friends. It cost me £50.

    Boardman CX Comp bought through Cycle to Work Scheme. My pride and joy.

  • Cyclist's crash damages reduced because of 'contributory negligence': looking down at heart rate monitor1 year 5 weeks agoSo cyclists should always see

    So cyclists should always see cars, but it's fine for delivery drivers, minibus drivers, and charitable ladies not to notice bikes? Jeez, where are the vigilantes?

  • Cyclist's crash damages reduced because of 'contributory negligence': looking down at heart rate monitor1 year 5 weeks agoI don't suppose anybody can

    I don't suppose anybody can find out a bit more about the process through the courts for this incident?

    The accident happened in 2009 and the cyclist then sued the driver, it appears to me that the courts awarded him 70k for damages and now for some reason it has ended up back in court to get the damages reduced.

    Has the driver appealed in some way or something? Or is this standard procedure?

  • Suspended sentence for lorry driver who killed cyclist and claimed he was unable to avoid hitting him1 year 5 weeks agooozaveared wrote:Chris James

    oozaveared wrote:
    Chris James wrote:
    BBB wrote:

    As a foreigner (many years in the UK) it really makes me wonder what kind of people the judges in this country are and how they get to their positions. Are they soft bleeding heart lefties like many of their colleagues in a public sector?
    Can someone shed some light on it, please?

    Judges aren''t usually accused of being raging lefties. A disproportionate amount of them are privately educated middle aged white men - again, not a group known to be particularly left wing.

    After the riots a few years back the judges were merrily sending people to prison for stealing bottles of water, so I think it is more than the section of society the judges represent instinctively identify with drivers and not cyclists.

    In any case, and to be fair, the judges only sentence within guidelines provided to them. The main issue tends to be the CPS only pursuing relatively minor charges and the juries being reluctant to convict.

    What a load of ignorant tosh.

    1 Judges don't make the law, don't do the investigation, don't decide on which charges to bring and don't decide the verdict.

    2 They are responsible for ensuring a fair trial within the law (if they don't it is grounds for appeal).

    3 They are responsible for the sentencing. But they have to sentence in accordance with guidelines for the offence. There's a minimum, there's a maximum. Each offence has a starting point which is roughly in the middle of the two.. From that baseline judges can add or subtract from the sentence depending on aggravating or mitigating circumstances and they set out their reasoning in their judgement. Anything that is arguably either too lenient or too punitive vis a vis the guidlines and previous rulings in all courts in England and Wales or which has an error in fact or in law or in the reasoning can also be appealed.

    In this case the Crown Prosecution Service brought the charge of "death by careless driving" They could possibly have brought the charge of "causing death by dangerous driving" I think they should have. Nevertheless, the max penalty for careless is 5 years. The max penalty for dangerous is 14 years.

    Here are the sentencing manuals
    Dangerous
    http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/death_by_dangerous_...
    Careless
    http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/causing_death_by_ca...

    Where judges went to school or what their politics are has almost nothing to do with the sentences they pass down.

    ...and BTW why does being left wing or right wing make you more or less sympathetic to road victims? - The commonly held view is that left wing people are more sympathetic to offenders and right wing people to their victims. You say so yourself moaning that offenders in the riots were given very harsh sentences. Ipso facto right wing judges are more likely to sympathise with a middle class company director victim (cyclist) killed by a working class lorry driver (criminal) dont ya think?

    A sensible comment might have been that if the lorry driver had 9 seconds to see and react to sean ruff and failed to either slow down or change lane when it appears that he could have done so then he was arguably guilty of dangerous driving. In this case the CPS is to blame for the lenient sentence. If he was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving (and I think he would have been convicted for a level 3 on the information I have).

    Level 3 - This is driving that created a significant risk of danger and is likely to be characterised by:

    Driving above the speed limit/at a speed that is inappropriate for the prevailing conditions OR
    Driving when knowingly deprived of adequate sleep or rest or knowing that the vehicle has a dangerous defect or is poorly maintained or is dangerously leaded OR
    A brief but obvious danger arising from a seriously dangerous manoeuvre OR
    Driving whilst avoidably distracted OR
    Failing to have proper regard to vulnerable road users

    I'd say that nine seconds to react and neither slowing down or changing lane and then hitting a cyclist would be a cinch for a conviction.

    Starting point: 3 years custody
    Sentencing range: 2-5 years custody

    He did have mitigation according to the guidelines ie
    Otherwise good driving record
    Genuine remorse.

    therefore the sentence would likely have been the minimum for CDbDD ie 2 years

    The judge in this case had where the charge was CDbCID had a Starting Point of 15 months custody
    Sentencing range: 36 weeks - 3 years custody

    The same mitigation applies. The best we could have hoped for on this charge with these circumstances would have been a 36 week sentence. + ancillaries. He actually got that less his 25% for pleading guilty straight away.

    I say again it is not the judges fault in this case but the CPS bringing a lower charge than could be justified. The judge can only sentence for the conviction he can't sentence a person for what they should have been charged with.

    What's actually at fault is the ludicrous law. A more sensible approach would simply say that if you kill someone with a vehicle, that's it, no more driving, no more vehicle.

    Given the current prodriving mindset you may be right, although the mitigation pleas are ludicrous. How do you square 'genuine remorse' with lying to the police? He's simply a lying scummer. Hopefully he'll never be able to afford a car ever again.

  • Tour of Oman stage 31 year 5 weeks agoWell I was wrong about

    Well I was wrong about sagan.....took griepel out and didn't go with my gut feeling on Bouhanni..... How wrong could I have got today's stage Angry Sick At Wits End

  • Cyclist's crash damages reduced because of 'contributory negligence': looking down at heart rate monitor1 year 5 weeks agoSorry officer I didn't know I

    Sorry officer I didn't know I was speeding but a judge said I must always look where I am going.....,

  • Chris Boardman: "Helmets not even in top 10 of things that keep cycling safe"1 year 5 weeks agoOnce again, the point has

    Once again, the point has been wildly missed by everyone trotting out the same old anecdotes of how they "know" their helmet saved them.
    Bear in mind you're talking about different types of riding - we're trying to get more people on bikes for normal everyday things - going to the shops, commuting etc - and portraying that as some kind of reckless, dangerous activity that requires lycra, helmets, hi-vis and an ability to mix it with buses and trucks doing 30+mph doesn't help. Yes, if I'm riding like that I wear a helmet. Getting a hire bike to potter round London, I'd never consider it - it's a normal everyday activity of me going to the shops in normal clothes and a completely different way of riding. I suspect some people on here (who are by definition keen road cyclists with racing bikes and all the kit) have forgotten this whole other world of cycling which exists outside of it being a hobby/sport for the relatively well-off rather than a valid mode of transport for all.

    You remember after that 2-week period in London where 6 cyclists were killed? Rather than it being taken as an opportunity to really push the #space4cycling campaign and The Times' "Cities Fit for Cycling" campaign it became an angry argument with the three H's brought to the fore - Helmets, Hi vis and Headphones. The road safety campaign that followed involved the Police standing there pulling cyclists for not wearing hi-vis while largely ignoring the massive elephant in the room of all the big dangerous badly driven cars & lorries. Basically moved everything onto victim blaming, arguments and diverted the attention of the media away from the main issue. Sad

    As CB so rightly says - stop talking about helmets and move the whole debate forwards.

  • Suspended sentence for lorry driver who killed cyclist and claimed he was unable to avoid hitting him1 year 5 weeks agoHe admits he saw the victim,

    He admits he saw the victim, and claims (incorrectly) he could not move out to overtake, so did nothing to try and slow down and avoid a collision. The fact he was up on a careless driving charge seems like little more than they didn't think one of dangerous driving would stick.

    Dangerous Driving;
    (1)For the purposes of sections 1 and 2 above a person is to be regarded as driving dangerously if —

    (a)the way he drives falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver, and
    (b)it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous

    If the CPS opted not to go with a dangerous driving charge, because they felt that a jury would not find that his actions fell far below what is expected of a careful and competent driver, then something really has to change.

  • Going to Dublin to watch the Giro1 year 5 weeks agoThnaks Gang The initial plan

    Thnaks Gang
    The initial plan was that we would drive up to my parents in Derbyshire, stay there overnight, then over to Holyhead for the ferry. We'd have then driven to Belfast, watched first 2 stages, then back to Dublin for the third. We'd have slept in the van & used our bikes to get around during the day, get to the races & do some sightseeing.
    I honestly had no idea when I mentally formulated this little trip, that the ferries, would be so much - Having sailed numerous times to go cycling in France I had based my budget on similar costings
    One option left is that we will just fly over & watch the final stage, then fly back.
    Another plan is that we could go watch the Ladies Tour, the dates hadn't been announced when we planned the Giro trip, if they had I would have opted for that.

    Rupert, thank you so much, that is a fabulous offer, and he is very eager to enter in some 'big events'
    It's his birthday treat, so I will leave the choice to him

    x

  • Moda reveal their first British-made carbon fibre road frame1 year 5 weeks agoNot usually a fan of raw

    Not usually a fan of raw carbon fibre finish on bikes, but that frame looks really nice, not sure if it's the high gloss or the lighting, but some of the angles really make that look cool.
    Looking forward to hearing what this is like when it's finished.

  • Suspended sentence for lorry driver who killed cyclist and claimed he was unable to avoid hitting him1 year 5 weeks agoChris James wrote:BBB

    Chris James wrote:
    BBB wrote:

    As a foreigner (many years in the UK) it really makes me wonder what kind of people the judges in this country are and how they get to their positions. Are they soft bleeding heart lefties like many of their colleagues in a public sector?
    Can someone shed some light on it, please?

    Judges aren''t usually accused of being raging lefties. A disproportionate amount of them are privately educated middle aged white men - again, not a group known to be particularly left wing.

    After the riots a few years back the judges were merrily sending people to prison for stealing bottles of water, so I think it is more than the section of society the judges represent instinctively identify with drivers and not cyclists.

    In any case, and to be fair, the judges only sentence within guidelines provided to them. The main issue tends to be the CPS only pursuing relatively minor charges and the juries being reluctant to convict.

    What a load of ignorant tosh.

    1 Judges don't make the law, don't do the investigation, don't decide on which charges to bring and don't decide the verdict.

    2 They are responsible for ensuring a fair trial within the law (if they don't it is grounds for appeal).

    3 They are responsible for the sentencing. But they have to sentence in accordance with guidelines for the offence. There's a minimum, there's a maximum. Each offence has a starting point which is roughly in the middle of the two.. From that baseline judges can add or subtract from the sentence depending on aggravating or mitigating circumstances and they set out their reasoning in their judgement. Anything that is arguably either too lenient or too punitive vis a vis the guidlines and previous rulings in all courts in England and Wales or which has an error in fact or in law or in the reasoning can also be appealed.

    In this case the Crown Prosecution Service brought the charge of "death by careless driving" They could possibly have brought the charge of "causing death by dangerous driving" I think they should have. Nevertheless, the max penalty for careless is 5 years. The max penalty for dangerous is 14 years.

    Here are the sentencing manuals
    Dangerous
    http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/death_by_dangerous_...
    Careless
    http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/causing_death_by_ca...

    Where judges went to school or what their politics are has almost nothing to do with the sentences they pass down.

    ...and BTW why does being left wing or right wing make you more or less sympathetic to road victims? - The commonly held view is that left wing people are more sympathetic to offenders and right wing people to their victims. You say so yourself moaning that offenders in the riots were given very harsh sentences. Ipso facto right wing judges are more likely to sympathise with a middle class company director victim (cyclist) killed by a working class lorry driver (criminal) dont ya think?

    A sensible comment might have been that if the lorry driver had 9 seconds to see and react to sean ruff and failed to either slow down or change lane when it appears that he could have done so then he was arguably guilty of dangerous driving. In this case the CPS is to blame for the lenient sentence. If he was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving (and I think he would have been convicted for a level 3 on the information I have).

    Level 3 - This is driving that created a significant risk of danger and is likely to be characterised by:

    Driving above the speed limit/at a speed that is inappropriate for the prevailing conditions OR
    Driving when knowingly deprived of adequate sleep or rest or knowing that the vehicle has a dangerous defect or is poorly maintained or is dangerously leaded OR
    A brief but obvious danger arising from a seriously dangerous manoeuvre OR
    Driving whilst avoidably distracted OR
    Failing to have proper regard to vulnerable road users

    I'd say that nine seconds to react and neither slowing down or changing lane and then hitting a cyclist would be a cinch for a conviction.

    Starting point: 3 years custody
    Sentencing range: 2-5 years custody

    He did have mitigation according to the guidelines ie
    Otherwise good driving record
    Genuine remorse.

    therefore the sentence would likely have been the minimum for CDbDD ie 2 years

    The judge in this case had where the charge was CDbCID had a Starting Point of 15 months custody
    Sentencing range: 36 weeks - 3 years custody

    The same mitigation applies. The best we could have hoped for on this charge with these circumstances would have been a 36 week sentence. + ancillaries. He actually got that less his 25% for pleading guilty straight away.

    I say again it is not the judges fault in this case but the CPS bringing a lower charge than could be justified. The judge can only sentence for the conviction he can't sentence a person for what they should have been charged with.

  • Marianne Vos returns to UK to ride the Women's Tour in May1 year 5 weeks agoThis is great news!

    This is great news! Party

  • Bike History1 year 5 weeks agoSomething I learnt on; can't

    Something I learnt on; can't remember what it was.

    Raleigh Rudge (1970s) 'sit up and beg' type bike. Upgraded with a Sturmey Archer 3spd! (nicked).

    Raleigh Banana Racer (70s/80s - 2nd hand). School run, 'scrambling', did everything. (nicked) Bit of a 'no bike' period after that.

    Raleigh Pioneer Trail hybrid (late 80s/early 90s). (Traded in).

    Marin 9 spd hub geared hybrid bike (late 90s) (nicked).

    Cannondale H700 Hybrid (2000). Spent a 'grand' on this with all the accessories which was pretty scary at the time. Still going strong with some 'pimping' and upgrading.....+ 3 more bikes (Giant Anthem MTB, Mezzo D9 Folder, Genesis Equilibrium 20).