- Just in: Aprire Vincenza1 year 7 weeks agoGreat "traditional" looking
Great "traditional" looking bike that could tempt me away from steel if it rides as good as it looks...
- New bike advice1 year 7 weeks ago+1 on the bike
+1 on the bike love/maintenance.
I'm running an Arkose CX beast for 80-100 miles/week of commuting, trail and fun riding. 8 months and not one mechanical so far. Well up to the task of coping with moderate mileage on grotty surfaces, and I'm not the lightest of riders. In retrospective, for an "n" bike, I'd have gone for a decent hybrid (recent Hoy and Raleigh releases look very nice indeed). Very little drop off in performance, and great deal more change out of your budget.
- VIDEO: New cycle and pedestrian bridge to be London's newest river crossing1 year 7 weeks agoa bad design for cyclists,
a bad design for cyclists, you should be able to cycle up and over it without dismounting, also sharing a common path for cyclist and walking public doesn't acknowledge the difference in speed between the two category's.
- VIDEO: New cycle and pedestrian bridge to be London's newest river crossing1 year 7 weeks agoIt does look nice, but from
It does look nice, but from the video it seems the only way of getting on to it by bike is to use the lift.
- is it me or are the roads super slippy at the mo?1 year 7 weeks agoWent down this morning, 35 on
Went down this morning, 35 on a descent road turned right, tightened up and then I was over and sliding down the road.
Second ride on the winter bike and bent the hanger, and possibly damaged mech,
Ripped knee and arm warmer and a fair bit of skin on the road!
- is it me or are the roads super slippy at the mo?1 year 7 weeks agoBang. Went down hard this
Bang. Went down hard this morning. Nothing really damaged but my pride thankfully but it was out of nowhere on a corner I normally take at 20+mph in the summer but was being winter cautious at between 12-15mph. Front wheel just disappeared from under me. Took the fall on my shoulder and scratched the buckle of my Zxelliums. Had a look at the road and can't work out why I went down. Bike is wearing Conti 4000s, think I'll just stay on the trainer until march.
- Stolen Specialized Roubaix Elite - 20121 year 7 weeks agoHi.. I have a ground anchor..
Hi.. I have a ground anchor.. But they cut the padlock with bolt cutters.. So now will invest in better locks!! Have checked out some motorcycle ones that look good!! I have to say I hope they stuff my frame up trying to get the d-locks off and so they can't sell it!!
- Sustrans: Cyclists should slow down1 year 7 weeks agoThis thread serves to
This thread serves to prove(as if it were needed) that its not the car that makes the cock.
- Sustrans: Cyclists should slow down1 year 7 weeks agoI'm just fed up with peds
I'm just fed up with peds treating shared-use paths like a park - Wandering around with your dog on an extendable lead (or no lead at all, just as often!) is just irresponsible.
No issue with peds walking on a shared-use path (prior comment about it being for 'traffic' in the sense of cyclists and peds makes sense to me) but it's not a park, it's a route for people to get places whether on a bike or on their feet.
- Cycling Minister hosts Leeds conference on cycle-proofing cities… but he's not shouting about it1 year 7 weeks agoI tweeted a link to the
I tweeted a link to the speech at you yesterday but I guess you don't check the mentions on the Road CC account. It's here: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/cycling-networks-fit-for-growth
- Bristol's mayor George Ferguson backs rush-hour lorry ban1 year 7 weeks agoMr Ferguson should have a
Mr Ferguson should have a look at the state of the road surfaces and the 'show case' bus routes first!!!
What's the point in bus lanes that have car parking allowed in them making it impossible for buses to use?!
Plus the new bus stops that stick out into the road are ridiculous - there's not even enough room for a cyclist to get past!
- Bristol police stop 689 drivers & cyclists - campaign group says infrastructure is the real answer1 year 7 weeks agoWonder where they've been? I
Wonder where they've been? I cycle commute through Bristol every day and I haven't seen any sign of a copper.
- Islington to lorry drivers: on your bikes1 year 7 weeks agoAn excellent start. Other
An excellent start. Other London councils need to follow this lead. There should be a compulsory cycle-training section for all drivers anyway when learning, but especially for the 7.5t+ stuff.
- VIDEO: New cycle and pedestrian bridge to be London's newest river crossing1 year 7 weeks ago"Why are you cycling on a
"Why are you cycling on a footbridge?!"
A good idea to have a bridge there, but good design, implementation and integration with other infrastructure is more important.
- VisionTrimax carbon 50 tubular wheels,shimano Ultegra semi group and syntace racelite 40 cm bars1 year 7 weeks agoOops
- Muc-Off Nano Grit Hand Cleaner1 year 7 weeks agoI use my own brand of hand
I use my own brand of hand cleaner - used coffee grinds and washing up liquid. It does exactly the same thing and is far less expensive.
- Bristol's mayor George Ferguson backs rush-hour lorry ban1 year 7 weeks agoPlease sign my Government
Please sign my Government E-Petition to get House of Commons to debate a law of "Presumed Liability" in the event of a road traffic incident. E-Petitions require 100,000 signatures before the matter is even considered.........This means that the petition must go viral to achieve this in twelve months.
This is a cheap and, I believe, effective way to get those responsible for hazardous vehicles to really understand their responsibilities, change heir attitudes and act more responsibly.
Please read the petition, sign and pass on to all contacts.
Safe and Happy Cycling
- Stolen Specialized Roubaix Elite - 20121 year 7 weeks agoReally sorry to hear this
Really sorry to hear this Gavin. Think this is one of all cyclists nightmares.
Are you able to fit a ground anchor in the garage? I think kryptonite do a pretty sturdy one for about £60. It'll mean drilling into the floor so you'll need a cement/concrete floor. It'll obviously not help you for your current bike but might help next time if they continue to target you!!!
Good luck finding your bike and keeping future bikes safe.
- VIDEO: New cycle and pedestrian bridge to be London's newest river crossing1 year 7 weeks agoShared path?
I can imagine
I can imagine what the moral outrage headlines will be before it's even opened (if it is) will be.
- Bristol designers aim to revolutionise women's cycling wear after winning Lycra design prize1 year 7 weeks agoGood luck and all the best ….
Good luck and all the best ….
- Sustrans: Cyclists should slow down1 year 7 weeks agoWe ring our bell on shared
We ring our bell on shared footpaths and slope up behind peds...crawl behind for a few moments (or more) until they see us...or call out ever so politely asking if we may pass... they usually are happy to move...but with a pointed comment that we should have rung our bell! They just don't register them... having said that we find children do recognise the bell almost straight away and shift accordingly.
I also feel for pedestrians on shared pavements in my town cos they are just not used to them and can not understand why we are tootling on the pavement. I don't really like them as a cyclist (a slow cyclist) either and would rather be on the road in a cycling lane or on a dedicated cycleway.
I can't imagine riding the busy routes in London but did have a couple of safe/quiet spins on a Boris bike a couple of years ago
- Stolen Specialized Roubaix Elite - 20121 year 7 weeks agoThanks.. This is the 2nd time
Thanks.. This is the 2nd time in 18 months i have been done.. i was targeted yesterday definitely.. They also took a Cannondale Quick SL2.. I have had 5 bikes stolen = about £7k in bikes gone.. My insurance is going to be a shocker next year.. But all i can do is get better padlocks. No room in my flat to keep the bike
- is it me or are the roads super slippy at the mo?1 year 7 weeks agoThat's the thing - the roads
That's the thing - the roads are just treacherous from October until March. If it's not leaves, it's ice, and if it's not ice, it's oil, and if it's not oil it's mud washed off the fields.
Either accept you're going to fall at some point, or brake early and steadily into corners, take them far slower, and don't take any risks descending.
It then takes SO long to rediscover your cornering and descending mojo when the roads dry out. Sad times.
- is it me or are the roads super slippy at the mo?1 year 7 weeks agoI binned it this morning, on
I binned it this morning, on the lanes outside bath. was only doing about 12mph on a steep off camber corner, feathered the back brake and the wheel just locked up immediately. then the front broke away and down i went. mostly i was just muddy
That was on Conti GT 25mms which are blackchili compound and normally very predictable. to be honest i think i would have needed ice spikes to stay upright, was just a whole corner of packed down leaves covered in morning dew...
- Stolen Specialized Roubaix Elite - 20121 year 7 weeks agoShocker - will keep my eyes
Shocker - will keep my eyes open in Wimbledon area. Got to say my roubaix lives indoors as those thieving scrotes get everywhere. However I saw James Cracknell had several bikes nicked from inside his house the other day when he was in hospital and can't help but think the tea leaves are using the internet & social media to target high value bikes.