- Sister of 21-year-old cyclist killed in London calls for cyclists to have training they are allowed onto the roads1 year 6 weeks agoYou can give all the cycle
You can give all the cycle training in the world, however it will not get away from idiots driving dangerously when behind the wheel of a vehicle. I commute 120 miles every day by car and see plenty of awful, driving from a wide varied range of drivers, including a police Inspector who was in his own private car of all people.
Whether I drive or cycle I always adopt a self preservation attitude, however having lived in Germany a number of years, the UK needs to adopt the same laws and put the onus on those who drive vehicles that injure or kill and they have the responsibility to ensure the safety of vulnerable road users, attitudes amongst car, van & lorry drivers will not change. The message from the courts needs to be a tough one, while lenient sentences are passed out or in some cases none at all, people will not take note. Irrespective of whether they need a car or not, that should not even be a consideration in these cases. Harsh yes but that is what is needed to get peoples attention and get them to act.
- Ride like a pro with Jaguar Ride Out events for chance to join Team Sky training camp1 year 6 weeks agoI'm on the Chichester ride
I'm on the Chichester ride 12th Oct
- Stans NoTubes Alpha 340 Wheels1 year 6 weeks agoI have been been running the
I have been been running the older Alpha 340 rims on Ambrosio hubs (32h front and rear) for around 4 months now. After sorting out a few teething troubles from a poor build they have been great. I am no climber but feel happier putting more effort in on the hills with them, they respond willingly. Have read of some issues with spokes pulling through on the old rims with too much spoke tension, apparently the rim beds are thicker now. There is also a more robust and heavier 400 rim available. Could be good for tubeless touring. Not sure I would trust a 340 rim to that application, as David was suggesting in the review. But definitely agree on the comfort.
I have just started trying a tubeless front with a Hutchinson Intensive 25mm, replacing a Gatorskin 28mm. 3 rides in and pleasantly surprised how much more comfortable it is and it does feel like there is less resistance. But that could be wishful thinking having shelled out. Not cheap at the moment, but prices will come down, surely?
I am no instant tubeless convert, but am coming round as there have been no real issues so far.
- Abolish VAT on bike lights, says petition1 year 6 weeks agoDone my bit and have signed
Done my bit and have signed it striaght away. I am looking at for a decent light btw - possible the Exposure Diablo for commuting up to an hour both ways.
- Amber pedal reflectors - are you bothered?1 year 6 weeks ago+1
My commute takes me out of
My commute takes me out of the town and onto unlit country lanes. I have excellent lights and hopefully some luck on my side. I don't feel reflectors would add anything to the package...
- New Forest pony maintenance cancelled due to cycle sportive1 year 6 weeks agoIt is just the locals making
It is just the locals making sure they are as inconvenienced as possible to show up the sportive. Hopefully they are not driving the ponies down the road as it is bad for their legs. Does the sportive go off road? I ride bikes but also horses in the past. It's just the locals cutting up rough.
- Notts Police fill cities with 'Capture Bicyles' warning thieves that they could end up with more than they bargained for1 year 6 weeks agoJust go to Briggs scrap
Just go to Briggs scrap metal. or the auction at the end of Tolney lane on a Wednesday morning if you want to find the stolen bikes in Newark.
As for Police action, my wifes colleague had her bike stolen on Friday night and saw the youth who nicked it riding it on Saturday morning in Town. When she stopped him and challenged him and called the Police, he wouldn't give her it back until she'd paid him £15 (what he claimed he'd bought it for) and the Police were not interested in the least, even though she could identify him.
- Look keo carbon blades to axles1 year 6 weeks agoBased on research £130 now as
Based on research £130 now as two sets of cleats
- Sister of 21-year-old cyclist killed in London calls for cyclists to have training they are allowed onto the roads1 year 6 weeks agoI think the boyfriend of the
I think the boyfriend of the victim makes a very valid point. Cycling has been pushed up the political agenda in recent years and promoted heavily through schemes such as Boris bikes, yet what is being done to keep cyclists safe?
At best there is patchy cycling infrastructure that usually gives priority to motor traffic at every junction. At worst we're forced to intermingle with traffic at horrific junctions like those at Aldgate, Bow and Holborn. Proper infrastructure takes time to develop but what is required first is commitment to develop it and that in itself is minimal.
Our leaders are quite happy to promote cycling and it's benefits, without actually having the backbone to ensure that cyclists are safe. A few hundred seriously injured or killed doesn't seem enough to take space away from motor traffic in the cities.
As for compulsory training I believe it would be massively counterproductive and impossible to police. Infrastructure and public information campaigns are the best solutions IMO.
- SOLD Mavic Aksium Race front wheel SOLD1 year 6 weeks agoYgm
- Stans NoTubes Alpha 340 Wheels1 year 6 weeks agoIm not convinced at all at
Im not convinced at all at tubeless when you could buy tubes and very good winter tyres at less than half the cost of the £130 of the Schwalbe kit! if your really serious why not go tubular? Tube and T yres do good enough for me all year round
- Win a unique HOY Autumn edition bike with road.cc and Evans Cycles!1 year 6 weeks agoMy son taking a well earnt
My son taking a well earnt rest mountain biking in the surrey hills
- Stans NoTubes Alpha 340 Wheels1 year 6 weeks agoSteve Worland wrote:Dave...Steve Worland wrote:
Dave... What you say is the official line, and often true for skinny or loose fitting tyres, but I've been running normal 33-35c CX and touring type tyres on normal rims with liquid latex instead of tubes for about seven years now and I've never had one blow off the rim... well, not in use, one loose fitting one popped off while using a compressor for inflation and sprayed the side of the building (and me) with liquid latex.
I seal the spoke holes with tough sticky tape and use Stans No Tubes or Joes No Flats rim tapes that fit the rim well perfectly so that the tyres are a tight fit as soon as inflated. Some inflate and seal instantly with a track pump, others require a compressor to pop the bead into place. The only time it doesn't work is when the tyres are a loose fit on the rim... different brands vary a lot.
I run semi-ghetto tubeless (tubeless-compatible rim, standard tyre) on my mtb and might try ghetto tubeless with cx tyres and 50psi; not sure i'd trust it to a 50mph descent on a road bike with double that in the tyres
- Win a unique HOY Autumn edition bike with road.cc and Evans Cycles!1 year 6 weeks agoAutumn unleashes the
Autumn unleashes the crossers.
- Win a unique HOY Autumn edition bike with road.cc and Evans Cycles!1 year 6 weeks agoClub run on the rolling hills
Club run on the rolling hills of Essex. Longer shadows follow their riders on the tarmac.
- Ex-world champion Philippe Gilbert takes on Belgian postie in one-off bike swap race (+ link to video)1 year 6 weeks agoSort of sums up Gilberts
Sort of sums up Gilberts season....
(Good on him for doing that, looked like a good craic !)
- Forum's Scorum's Mini League1 year 6 weeks agoHe's going to be unsufferable
He's going to be unsufferable when he comes home now....
Still a race to complete the badges though. Both of us waiting for one more.
- Metric Century Challenge 2012-20131 year 6 weeks ago17 Nov 1 Point
17 Nov 1 Point 64.96M/104.54KM Total Points 1 Total KM 104.54
26 Dec 1 Point 63.11M/101.57KM Total Points 2 Total KM 206.11
27 Jan 1 Point 63.00M/101.39KM Total Points 3 Total KM 307.5
3 Feb 1 Point 62.35M/100.34KM Total Points 4 Total KM 407.84
16 Feb 1 Point 71.83M/115.60KM Total Points 5 Total KM 523.44
9 March 1 Point 70.90M/ 114.10KM Total Points 6 Total KM 637.54
30 March 1 Point 88.14M/ 141.85KM Total Points 7 Total KM 779.39
14 April 1 Point 88.00M/ 141.62KM Total Points 8 Total KM 921.01
5 May 1 Point 65.26M/ 105.03KM Total Points 9 Total KM 1026.04
12 May 1 Point 112.00M/ 180.25KM Total Points 10 Total KM 1206.29
2 June 1 Point 98.55M/ 158.60KM Total Points 11 Total KM 1364.89
13 July 1 Point 92.92M/ 149.54KM Total Points 12 Total KM 1514.43
10 August 1 Point 66.61M/ 107.20KM Total Points 13 Total KM 1621.63
10 September 2 Points 126.62M/ 203.78KM Total Points 15 Total KM 1825.41
6 October 1 Point 62.30/ 100.27KM Total Points 16 Total KM 1925.68
- Il Lombardia1 year 6 weeks agoWig_Billy wrote:TERatcliffe26Wig_Billy wrote:TERatcliffe26 wrote:
Just 1,2,4,8 for standard and 1,2,8 for purist
That's not rubbish.
Its not, but in the context of the last race where I had 6 of the top 11 and was still absolutely nowhere with my score, I knew id be nowhere in terms of a stage placing again.
I guess everyone is setting such high standards with the scores they get
- Joaquim Rodriguez doubles up to win il Lombardia for second year running1 year 6 weeks agoI had 1-2-3-4 in my fantasy
I had 1-2-3-4 in my fantasy team
- Notts Police fill cities with 'Capture Bicyles' warning thieves that they could end up with more than they bargained for1 year 6 weeks agoI suspect the point is people
I suspect the point is people are less likely to engage in opportunistic crime where they know there's every chance the opportunity isn't just easy money, but instead is bait. Stealing bikes for professional bike thieves is easy and it's rare for anyone to question thieves in the act (who are in any case going to be long gone quite fast if well prepared). Shielding from cameras in the area is easy too for cautious thieves. Introducing a level of unknownrisk in a crime that is otherwise very easy to get away with seems likely to make a substantial difference to willingness to carry out thefts in the first place, particularly with the visual reminder that capture methods are in action (rather than leaving ppl to steal bikes potentially damaging them in the process).
- Win a unique HOY Autumn edition bike with road.cc and Evans Cycles!1 year 6 weeks agoGoing south towards Polegate,
Going south towards Polegate, East Sussex on the Cuckoo Trail.
- Win a unique HOY Autumn edition bike with road.cc and Evans Cycles!1 year 6 weeks agoAutumns ride to me are clear
Autumns ride to me are clear days, low sun, crunchy leaves and a 1 dimensional training partner who I can never drop! (Great minds Alskipop, I took this on today's ride and then saw your offering when I got home!! Damn and blast :-P)
- Notts Police fill cities with 'Capture Bicyles' warning thieves that they could end up with more than they bargained for1 year 6 weeks agoHere's a novel idea. Why not
Here's a novel idea. Why not just put the capture bikes out and don't tell the scumbags, or have we descended to the point where we have less rights than the thieves?
- Il Lombardia1 year 6 weeks ago1 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver
1 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha 6:10:18
2 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:17
3 Rafal Majka (Pol) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:00:23
4 Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin-Sharp 0:00:45
5 Enrico Gasparotto (Ita) Astana Pro Team
6 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Katusha 0:00:55
7 Pieter Serry (Bel) Omega Pharma-Quick Step
8 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
9 Ivan Santaromita (Ita) BMC Racing Team
10 Robert Gesink (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team
11 Ivan Basso (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling
12 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr
13 Juan Antonio Flecha Giannoni (Spa) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
14 Ben Hermans (Bel) RadioShack Leopard
15 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
16 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team
17 Cyril Gautier (Fra) Team Europcar 0:01:07
18 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Argos-Shimano
19 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
20 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team