- First Look: Felt AR4 + video1 year 8 weeks agoYou won't get too much of an
You won't get too much of an aero advantage with cables hanging like that! That just looks terrible.
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agoI'm going to disagree with
I'm going to disagree with y'all on the jail term and probably risk y'all's ire. He should be banned for a really long time, or life, and have to pay serious compensation to the victim's family. But probably not gaoled.
Keeping him out of jail means he can remain a productive member of society. Even a short gaol term will likely result in him losing his job and probably long-term unemployment. What did his family do to deserve punishment in that way? Why destroy another family to satisfy a lust for revenge? It won't bring the victim back.
Ban him from driving forever and make him hurt by paying money- unless he shows no remorse, in which case gaol will allow time for reflection and re-education.
- Vuelta Stage 61 year 8 weeks agoDave Atkinson wrote:suddenlyDave Atkinson wrote:
suddenly mollema is a sprinter? what is that boy on?
It was my fault, I dropped him and he immediately got motivated enough to go for everything.
- Vuelta Stage 61 year 8 weeks agosuddenly mollema is a
suddenly mollema is a sprinter? what is that boy on?
- Suggestions/requests for the 2014 season1 year 8 weeks agoA few extra badges would be
A few extra badges would be great(especially like the 20,000 one).
- If you can't get a Cotic >X<, what would you have...1 year 8 weeks agoBeing a 30 month owner of an
Being a 30 month owner of an X I would say it's easy,
Almost anything else!
It's not a bad bike as far as modern far east steel goes but it is nothing special.
Go to Planet x and buy a Kaffenback for a lot less. I have both and I know which I prefer. Ihe x is a clunker even with the carbon forks.
Then again most modern steel bikes are like this unless they are top spec ones made of something like 853 tubing. Note that CdF's are in 2 spec's.
Being an old sod I use as a reference 531. I bet most of my generation do. Anything heavier than this is surely a retrograde step? I know weight isn't everything but it's not needed, especially at a high price. steel that isn't a well known make and model is almost certainly gas pipe.
Lots of generalisations I know but they mostly correct.
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agoWait until Google glasses
Wait until Google glasses catch on and every muppet is driving around watching movies, reading email or living out some fantasy in an augmented reality world.
It's also about time that it became illegal for TV programme makers to have car drivers talking to camera while they drive on the public highway. Whilst Top Gear may be doing it on closed roads, I doubt very much that all the others are. Even John craven does it for Countryfile! Even if camera cars etc make it safe(ish) for them, it just says to the public that it's fine to do anything you like while you're driving.
Every time I watch a show with this going on I think - "What if I'm coming the other way on this country lane on my bicycle" and then I have one of those "someone walking over your grave" shivers!
- DZR Jetlag Women's SPD shoes1 year 8 weeks agoI've been commuting in a
I've been commuting in a similar pair of DZRs for just under a year - laced so better fit - but couldn't recommend as the heel stiffening cup (between liner and outer) has distintegrated. Shame, as I'd had plenty of use out of my old Answers, which were cheaper, and no - I don't tread the backs down.
On the plus side, the reflective heel shape covers any concern about missing pedal reflectors - they are very noticeable.
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agoWhat i don't understand is
What i don't understand is that someone lost their life here as a DIRECT result of another person. Accidents happen, sure, but someone still lost their life!
It just confuses me something aweful to think you can end someones life and face little-to-no consequence. 240 hours of unpaid work and two years of not driving a vehicle... So this person can have the pleasure of riding a bike now whilst someone else who was doing just that is no more
- Vuelta Stage 61 year 8 weeks ago1st intermediate
1. Tony Martin
2. Tyler Farrar
3. Bauke Mollema
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agowhat worries me is I can do
what worries me is I can do sod all about these idiots.
Left hooks, right hooks, muppets pulling out....hell I can ride defensively and pretty much avoid this flavour of idiot but the ones that just drive into the back of you!
this is what scares me most
- Fantasy 'team' competition for 20141 year 8 weeks agoJust had a quick look at this
Just had a quick look at this years calendar and I think the plan is now to open the game for entries during the TDU, try and drum up support during the Tours of Oman, Qatar and Algarve in February then run a trial event during Paris-Nice at the start of March.
Official calendar (depending on what gets included in the fantasy game) would look something like:
Classics (mid March to mid April):
Ronde van Vlaanderen
Amstel Gold Race
La Flèche Wallonne
Liège - Bastogne - Liège
Giro d'Italia (May)
Tour de France (July)
Vuelta a Espana (September)
Classics wise we'll just include whatever ends up in the game so stuff like E3 may/may not be in there but we'll see.
Another option may be to include any women's races in the game as a separate event that runs all year long?
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agoThat is truly shocking.
That is truly shocking.
Even more so when you look at the junction:
There's a 50 yard warning for the stop sign, the sign itself, and the STOP painted on the road.
He deserves to be banned from driving for life, and jailed for the max term for causing death through dangerous driving. The judge was nearly right “I don’t believe the accident would have occurred if the satnav had been switched off.”, it wouldn't have occured if he hadn't been looking at it either. If you can't concentrate on your environment when in charge of a 1-tonne metal box moving at 30mph, then you can't be trusted to be in society.
- Eurobike 2013: First look faves... Pinarello, Colnago, Orbea, Specialized, Giant, Scott, Storck, De Rosa & more1 year 8 weeks agoIt's funny to ride a bike
It's funny to ride a bike that says "Automobili" on the badge. It may look cool on a descent but what about a steep hill?
- Eurobike 2013: Disc road bikes from Specialized, Bianchi, Merida, Stevens, Storck, Cannondale, Pinarello, Colnago, Ceepo + Trigon1 year 8 weeks agoNo disk equipped road bikes
No disk equipped road bikes from Canyon then?
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agoFFS!
- 3/4 bib knickers with leg warmers?1 year 8 weeks agoI should add, I've just
I should add, I've just bought my first pair of 3/4s (I refuse to call them "knickers"), lycra ones, which are so far working out quite nicely for these slightly cooler mornings without being too warm for the ride home. It's a right arse when the mornings and evenings are so far apart in temperature that I feel the need for thermal tights in the morning but lyrcra shorts in the evening- the perils of commuting.
- 3/4 bib knickers with leg warmers?1 year 8 weeks agoIt will partly depend on how
It will partly depend on how your body, and I would add calf muscles to the list Al__S gives, cope with the cold. For my first winter I used Bib shorts & leg warmers and I still use that if I'm not sure how much it will warm up, so I can adjust to shorts only if it gets too hot. I just go straight to full length otherwise (used "full length" as I'm not sure about admitting to wearing tights on a public forum ) so personally haven't bothered with 3/4s , although I have a friend who seems to wear 3/4s pretty much through the winter I think!
Hope that provides some help!
- Fantasy 'team' competition for 20141 year 8 weeks agoTERatcliffe26 wrote:AgreeTERatcliffe26 wrote:
Agree sticking to bigger races, but maybe use a race thats early like the TDU or P-N as a trial run?
Good idea, will probably look to set it up around the time of the TDU when people are coming back to the game and have a trial run before the classics.ray silvester wrote:
Count me in and I'd say combined top 3 scores as per team standings in the real races?
I'd say pick non-premium races but only ever one on at a time so no overlapping as it were?
Oh Yeah.....Baggsy I'm on Wig_Billy's team
The 'real races' use the top riders on each stage. We could do that but it'd be significantly more work to administer as we'd have to check each teams score for each stage rather than just doing a total. I can see the point of just taking the top scores from the team but then it means that half the team don't contribute anything, that'd be good in a way as it'd remove the posibility of someone 'letting the side down' but it'd also mean a team could be easily carried by a couple of players.
In theory I would love to run it in such a way that you could tactically stack some teams for the sprints whilst others aim for the mountains but in the end it'd just get in the way of people playing the game.
Either way, I'm open to suggestions, there's probably 4+ months yet before we actually finalise anything and get the game underway.
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agoWith my bike computer, I got
With my bike computer, I got a note saying it was illegal to look at while cycling. Obviously the whole purpose of it is to look down at, but if I'm unaware of my surroundings its my own fault and I'm in the wrong. Surely the same applies to satnavs?
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agoMeanwhile a guy who killed a
Meanwhile a guy who killed a couple IN A CAR while texting, gets 5 years...
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agoWe got nearly 7000 petitions
We got nearly 7000 petitions to Scottish legal administration to appeal the sentencing of Gary McCourt, as being too lenient (and reports from those in the Court, of his demeanour at his first Court appearance suggest he expected such a light sentence).
Should individuals mobilise and petition on all such ridiculous bias in handling cyclists and pedestrians hit by motor vehicle drivers.
Example given to me on Sunday ride - bus hits cyclist through failing to stop at roundabout entry and coming through on nearside of car in outer lane which had stopped for cyclist ... and the Police car following. Police car had to brake hard to avoid hitting bus!
In claiming for crash the victim noted that had he been driving in his car the whole issue would have been settled far faster. Bike under bus but through appropriate positioning on impact/luck, cyclist sent flying several metres clear to land on roundabout.
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agoIt's an interesting defence:
It's an interesting defence: "I didn't see him because I was fiddling with my Satnav". AFAIK, fiddling with stuff when driving is illegal anyway. How about a defence of "I ran over the mother and baby because I was drunk".
Surely it should be an aggravating circumstance, not mitigating.
- Sat-nav driver who killed cyclist spared jail - the same day sentencing review announced1 year 8 weeks agoah but the couple in the
ah but the couple in the squashed Audi obviously had a right to be there as they paid road tax, the evil lorry driver stole their future due to his texting.
the poor chap using his sat nav clearly isnt at fault as he was distracted and how was he to know a cyclist was going to just appear in front of him!
- Vuelta Stage 61 year 8 weeks agoCome on barry, off the back
Come on barry, off the back again