- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070 11-speed gear system1 year 8 weeks agoSeems that it is the usual "I
Seems that it is the usual "I can't afford this therefore it is shit and shouldn't exist" moaning. I can't afford it, but I'm happy for it to exist, and have no worries if people wish to spend vast amounts of money to be able to shift half a second quicker.
- US cyclist who killed pedestrian guilty of vehicular manslaughter but escapes jail1 year 8 weeks agoWhere's all the rants and
Where's all the rants and raves???
I know its a different country to the UK, different laws, different attitudes perhaps, but I find it rather sad that you guys have not responded with the same venom, anger, rage and witch hunt mentality that has been offered previously when a car driver takes the life of a cyclist.
I also get that vehicle drivers, under UK law, have a higher duty of care towards vulnerable road users, be it foot pedestrians or cyclists. After all, car drivers are in a 1.5 ton metal cocoon surrounded by airbags.
But, this cyclist behaved in a deliberately dangerous manner while under the obsession of a Strava segment and he killed another person by slamming into them at 30mph. he should have gone to prison and be banned from cycling for life, surely?
Then I see the lack of (unpleasant) rants and raves about how the punishment was weak, the justice system being crap, how we should appeal the sentence en-masse, and the bad taste jokes about licensed assassination's, free kills, etc.
I'm disappointed. You guys are a fickle lot.
- Lance Armstrong legal team moves to dismiss federal fraud lawsuit1 year 8 weeks agoJust out of interest, what
Just out of interest, what abut the OCC bike that was sold for charity a few years back? is Armstrong going to reimburse The OCC for their losses on the project?
- Prom Wars: Cromer seafront's "Oh yes it is", "Oh no it isn't" ban petition1 year 8 weeks agoHere's a crazy thought,
Here's a crazy thought, instead of amending the signs why not remove them?
- How to carry extra fluid?1 year 8 weeks agoMy middle pocket usually
My middle pocket usually carries my rain jacket, so in this weather that is replaced with a 750ml bottle on long rides.
- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070 11-speed gear system1 year 8 weeks agoScotchPoth wrote:Who canScotchPoth wrote:
Who can afford all this shit?
Ive got a Tiagra groupset,does the job,no problems
Id rather have the security of a mechanical set up when im out alone than risk this crap going wrong
why d'you get tiagra? Sora does the job too. so does 2300/claris. so does a downshifter/fixed wheel, etc etc etc.
go to any big sportive and you'll see that the world isn't short of people who can afford 'all this shit'. everyone makes a judgement on how much they're prepared to spend for what kind of performance; for some people value is a smaller aspect of the overall judgement.
- How to carry extra fluid?1 year 8 weeks agounless you need to travel
unless you need to travel fast and not stop, +1 for fill up on route
once did 100km in 100F and consumed 7l of liquids with only 2 750ml bidons. It was case of knowing where water was available. The 3 petrol stations on route and not much else.
- Angliru1 year 8 weeks agoNot sure what it would be
Not sure what it would be like during the Vuelta, I've only been there for a cycle.... Suggest parking around Pola de Lena early, then cycling up to La Vega and as high up as you can get. I've never watched the Vuelta, but suspect it will be like the Tour where you have to be cycling up the mountain by 10 if you want to get there before they close the road.
- Tour of Poland1 year 8 weeks agoguess we'll have to sort out
guess we'll have to sort out cannondale before quebec/montreal too
- Scappa aims to offer bespoke luxury bicycles1 year 8 weeks ago£9k for an Italian made frame
£9k for an Italian made frame
why not just a get a race proven Colnago C59 and spend the 6k saved on training camps and a coach
top end cycling seems to have gotten in the silly upward spiral that football transfer fee & wages are locked into...sky effect?
oh yer maybe these are made for footballers to spend a small proportion of a days wage on
Your mileage may vary
- Scappa aims to offer bespoke luxury bicycles1 year 8 weeks agoManufactuer or brand?
Manufactuer or brand?
- US cyclist who killed pedestrian guilty of vehicular manslaughter but escapes jail1 year 8 weeks agoMmm...Mr. Bucchere was
Mmm...Mr. Bucchere was clearly negligent resulting in the death of a pedestrian. He was racing on the road, a stupid ting to do by any estimation. He was not considering anyone else other than himself. Just as careless as Mr. Cox in the Dowling case, and it is that carelessness that has cost a life, again.
- French Senate names 1998 Tour de France dopers; O'Grady and Durand confess1 year 8 weeks agoSo who were the saintly few
So who were the saintly few that did not dope? Did they not because they refused or because they did not know? Then of course you could ask, if it was not illegal to take EPO, then was what they were doing technically (not morally) wrong?
But, what will happen in 10-20 years time? Will these riders expire early due to non-specific heart problems or other unexplained health issues?
- French Senate names 1998 Tour de France dopers; O'Grady and Durand confess1 year 8 weeks agoWell looking at the GC from
Well looking at the GC from 98 they might aswell just say the whole race was at it.
I am surprised that O'Grady has admitted to it so quickly. Given that his test was just suspicious and not positive. I have a feeling he knows of other test sample's somewhere that will pop up.
As for Cipollini, has he ever talked about doping or tested positive before?
- US cyclist who killed pedestrian guilty of vehicular manslaughter but escapes jail1 year 8 weeks agobikeboy76 wrote:Its prettybikeboy76 wrote:
Its pretty clear this guy would be a bad driver if you put him in a metal box. Punish the crime not the vehicle, shame he got away so lightly, as so many drivers do here.
I do not think anyone can judge his driving ability on the back of this story, he was clearly in "strava" mode while cycling. As I've seen with many people, the get addicted to taking KOM's and less aware about safety.
As for the punishment, I think thats a HUGE deterrent for this sort of act. 1000 hours of community service is a massive task to dish out. Lets just say he has a full time job and could pump out 20 community service hours a week (highly unlikely) it would still take him almost a year to work it off. More likely he will manage 10 hours, taking two years of doing things for the community, just like the victims family wanted, rather than a jail sentence.
I don't know how the laws differ over these, but I would say he'd get maybe 5 years here, out in 2 1/2....
- Tour of Poland1 year 8 weeks agoThat one I can't sort I'm
That one I can't sort I'm afraid as its locked in with a few things
- Vulpine wants your family pics for project to humanise bike riders1 year 8 weeks agoCycle_Jim wrote:Lovely idea,Cycle_Jim wrote:
Lovely idea, always my thoughts that some drivers can't seem to empathise that the people on commutes are only trying to get home to there loved ones the same way they are!
I second that sentiment. Far too many of us face needless dangers everyday we ride and this is a good way of curtailing the dehumanisation of cyclists.
- US cyclist who killed pedestrian guilty of vehicular manslaughter but escapes jail1 year 8 weeks agoQuote:“I was already way tooQuote:
“I was already way too committed to stop,” he wrote. “The light turned red as I was cruising through the middle of the intersection and then, almost instantly, the southern crosswalk on Market and Castro filled up with people coming from both directions... I couldn’t see a line through the crowd and I couldn’t stop, so I laid it down and just plowed through the crowded crosswalk in the least-populated place I could find.”
A similar thing happened to me once on Deansgate Manchester. I was barreling along and saw the lights flick to yellow just as I crossed the line; then a whole horde of pedestrians stepped out across the other side of the junction forcing me to jam on the brakes. I stopped just in time. I was luck I saw the light, was on the flat, was doing 30 kph not 30 mph. But it still seems a group of pedestrians will step out before the lights have turned and ignore a cyclists right of way and safety if there are enough of them. And I presume I would have got the blame if there was an accident.
HOWEVER < note the capitals
The red light jumping and Strava use negate however pausible an excuse this is. Its pretty clear this guy would be a bad driver if you put him in a metal box. Punish the crime not the vehicle, shame he got away so lightly, as so many drivers do here.
- sold fs cannondale caadx1 year 8 weeks agoSorry forgot to put size, its
Sorry forgot to put size, its 56cm
- US cyclist who killed pedestrian guilty of vehicular manslaughter but escapes jail1 year 8 weeks agoSounds like a fair judgement,
Sounds like a fair judgement, with a remarkable degree of charity and pragmatism on the part of the victim's son.
- Exclusive: Welcome to Yorkshire's Gary Verity on next year's Tour de France Grand Départ1 year 8 weeks agoand for anyone who can't wait
and for anyone who can't wait until next July for TdF in Yorkshire, we have the first three stages of the Giro d'Italia starting in Northern Ireland (Belfast & Armagh) on 9th May 2014...
- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070 11-speed gear system1 year 8 weeks agodon't forget that the reason
don't forget that the reason most of us so much enjoy tiagra, 105, ultegra or whatever you're on is because of the trickle down effect of the top groupsets.
Reading the comments here you'd almost feel guilty about saving up for something you fancy!
- Exclusive: Welcome to Yorkshire's Gary Verity on next year's Tour de France Grand Départ1 year 8 weeks agoThe riders and spectators are
The riders and spectators are going to be ones that make the three stages next year. I have to say my experience of Le Tour Yorkshire hasn't been great, from a poor launch in the snow in Leeds to a poor experience with their merchandising website. Compared to how the Olympic Games lined up their ducks it's been poor. I seem to remember my trip to the TdF in Portsmouth in 1994 being way better, even though I should be more excited that this is in my home county!
- Lance Armstrong legal team moves to dismiss federal fraud lawsuit1 year 8 weeks agoLance, please crawl back
Lance, please crawl back under your rock, no ones interested in you anymore!
- Just in: Lezyne Zecto Drive Pro LED1 year 8 weeks agointeresting light. great idea
interesting light. great idea as a spare. use either end of the bike. designed with compromise in mind i'd have thought. charge at work strap/ hook to nearly anything.
I like it. though i'd like to try it first.....