• Tour de France Stage 201 year 8 weeks agoYou've got to love

    You've got to love @TheJensie!!

  • Tour de France game - Pick three Frenchmen1 year 8 weeks agoPhilip Unwin wrote:I think

    Philip Unwin wrote:
    I think that's 8 points for Rolland so far today

    +6 for the sprint

  • Tour de France game - Pick three Frenchmen1 year 8 weeks agoI think that's 8 points for

    I think that's 8 points for Rolland so far today

  • 'Constant stream' of bikes in the New Forest scares horses, says equestrian association1 year 8 weeks agoDaily Mail lol

    Daily Mail lol

  • 'Last Man to Score' Tour de France Challenge1 year 8 weeks agoYou know I had a bad tour

    You know I had a bad tour then when I say I had Gasparotto(I thought the Bakelants/Gerrans/Impey stages were his sort of thing) and Fischer in my team for the start of the tour......in fact Fischer has been in all the way through!!

    Could Le Petit Prince even have a stage win in him?

  • Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoThat last point wasnt

    That last point wasnt directly at you Seven, just a general comment. People in this post are saying we shouldnt use headphones, i was saying they are fine if you appreciate the risk and mitigate. Its exactly the same argument for allowing bikes on the road in the first place, people say they shouldn't be there, we (cyclists) say its fine if you take care.

    As for wind noise and hearing things, you said 'nearly always', it only takes one time Wink Hence i always check over my shoulder before changing line or moving across the road. Ive ended up doing that walking to i notice, like im in a finish line sprint walking down the highstreet, is Cav going to jump me LOL!

  • Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoSTATO wrote:Being tired,

    STATO wrote:
    Being tired, drink, medicine (drugs) are all impediments. You've never went out the house when under the influence to one of these?

    Of course I have, and the two times I've done it (drink) I've kicked myself for my stupidity. Cycling with deliberately impaired senses as a matter of habit however is a different thing entirely so you're not really making a fair comparison. Also you seem to be implying that wearing earphones is equivalent to these things you list, therefore if earphones are ok then all these other things are ok too. I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it's the only logical conclusion of your argument.

    Quote:
    On a windy day i cant hear sod all, in busy traffic i cant discern that there is another car coming up behind me, especially not something like a hybrid-prius.

    I appreciate each individual's hearing is different, and I get that bad wind makes auditory detection difficult, however I find your claim hard to believe. I live in Scotland and go out in all weathers so I know a little bit about cycling in wind and the pain/distraction it can cause, but I've rarely had a problem being able to tell when there's a car behind me.

    Quote:
    So can i not wear earphones then?

    Wear earphones whenever you like - there's no law against it AFAIK - but don't expect not to be disagreed with when you claim in public that it's of no detriment to your safety.

    Quote:
    some of use are capable of looking out for ourselves

    What's your point? That the rest of us aren't?

  • Tour De France - Stage 19 - Bourg-d'Oisans / Le Grand-Bornand1 year 8 weeks agoray silvester wrote:Going to

    ray silvester wrote:
    Going to save transfers till sunday where I'll have 9 and go for the stage win......all that's left really after a shocker.

    My thoughts are Talansky for the stage tomorrow.

    Ive got 5 transfers for Sunday as I think its too tough to go for the win due to credits etc. I will end up with 5 sprinters, 3 id expect in the top 5 and the other 2 top 10, but beyond that its gonna be tough to predict, so good luck

  • Tour de France game - Pick three Frenchmen1 year 8 weeks agoGkam84 wrote:JAndrewHill

    Gkam84 wrote:
    JAndrewHill wrote:
    oh no, that me done for jc peraud is out....why cant he continue with a broken collar bone???

    He tried, did you see him come down today? He had already broken it on a warm up round the route, went to hospital, came back, did most of the TT then crashed badly near the end

    All in all his day mirrored my tour!!

  • Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoswldxer wrote:I have music on

    swldxer wrote:
    I have music on all of the time and find that I am extra observant, unlike peds who assume that because they cannot hear an engine will just stroll out into your path.

    You are right in one sense - having music on makes some people extra vigilant and makes them check their surroundings visually more often. But you are making a massive generalisation about peds there which isn't even remotely true, and implies strongly that the fact peds are not on a bike makes them more likely to act in ignorance of their own safety, which is pure nonsense. Your statement basically boils down to "it can't happen to me because I'm extra careful, unlike these stupid peds".

  • Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoseven wrote:Psi Squared

    seven wrote:
    Psi Squared wrote:
    Ears and eyes together maximize awareness. Why reduce the effectiveness of one and rely solely on the other?

    +1

    The argument that "it's okay to wear earphones because you have eyes" is silly imho. Why impair a sense that could save your life? There are plenty situations where your sight might not warn you of impending danger but your hearing would. Yes - deaf people "manage fine" - but that's beside the point.

    I appreciate the if you have it, use it argument, but why constrain it to just headphones?

    Being tired, drink, medicine (drugs) are all impediments. You've never went out the house when under the influence to one of these? even slightly/partially.

    On a windy day i cant hear sod all, in busy traffic i cant discern that there is another car coming up behind me, especially not something like a hybrid-prius. So can i not wear earphones then?

    I appreciate many who use headphones will not increase their level of attentiveness, but some of use are capable of looking out for ourselves.

  • Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoSTATO wrote:ScotchPoth

    STATO wrote:
    ScotchPoth wrote:
    Never use headphones when cycling,its fatal,the same goes for joggers and pedestrians particulary on cycle paths who cannot hear your warnings or bell and grumble when you go past at close proximity because of their selfish stupidity

    I think you mean...

    You should never fail to pay attention to your surroundings. You can wear headphones safely, it just requires you to be aware and use your eyes instead.

    How do you think deaf people cope!

    Exactly - I have music on all of the time and find that I am extra observant, unlike peds who assume that because they cannot hear an engine will just stroll out into your path.

  • Tour De France - Stage 19 - Bourg-d'Oisans / Le Grand-Bornand1 year 8 weeks agoGoing to save transfers till

    Going to save transfers till sunday where I'll have 9 and go for the stage win......all that's left really after a shocker.

    My thoughts are Talansky for the stage tomorrow.

  • Price inflation1 year 8 weeks agostevemarks wrote:enrique

    stevemarks wrote:
    enrique wrote:
    stevemarks wrote:
    ... Is it possible to have a banker included in the team lineup?...

    I don't get how this works Thinking What's the banker do for you and how do you use him?... Thinking

    You get to choose one rider for free at the start of the competition and he is not transferable. Then you have 150 credits to play with for eight guys. As I said a lot of people will have put in Froome or Sagan but with the extra breakaway points they may not be the highest scorers. It just means that you have more credits to play with for medium/cheap guys and the added interest of finding the perfect Banker who will make you the most points in a purist kind of way.

    Simples

    I'd go even further and say he's the team captain and therefore scores double points.

  • Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoQuote:The pair had earlier

    Quote:
    The pair had earlier seen Mr Dawn riding past, and Mr Butler said he thought he had been wearing headphones, but wasn't sure as he was wearing a hood.
    Quote:

    And a hood so no peripheral vision.

  • Price inflation1 year 8 weeks agoIt seems(I might be

    It seems(I might be wrong)that good performances effect a rise in price far more than a poor performance effects a fall.

    Andy Schleck for example started the season at 3.0 and has not really done much yet he's trebled in price to 9.2 but I doubt anyone has gone in the opposite direction.

  • Member of Scottish Parliament Alison Johnstone calls for spending on cycling to go Dutch1 year 8 weeks agoI would tentatively agree

    I would tentatively agree with Ms Johnstone, as long as by "exemplar project" she actually means cycle-specific. All too often what we actually get, when it comes to so-called "segregated cycling infrastructure" is anything but. At best we have shared use paths seemingly designed for leisure rather than transport use, where for example commuter cyclists who just want to get to work/home as quickly and efficiently as possible are put in the position of being evil speed demons by the dog-walkers/joggers/loiterers you find strewn all over these half-arsed facilities.

    Being a dyed-in-the-wool roadie I'm personally ambivalent about such projects, as I'd rather be darting along without having to weave in and out of slower-moving cyclists (plus the more transport money gets spent on cycling specific infrastructure, the more a certain section of motorists will feel at liberty to argue cyclists simply shouldn't be on the roads) but I can see their benefit.

  • Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoPsi Squared wrote:Ears and

    Psi Squared wrote:
    Ears and eyes together maximize awareness. Why reduce the effectiveness of one and rely solely on the other?

    +1

    The argument that "it's okay to wear earphones because you have eyes" is silly imho. Why impair a sense that could save your life? There are plenty situations where your sight might not warn you of impending danger but your hearing would. Yes - deaf people "manage fine" - but that's beside the point.

  • Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoEars and eyes together

    Ears and eyes together maximize awareness. Why reduce the effectiveness of one and rely solely on the other?

  • Sustrans: Cyclists should slow down1 year 8 weeks agodidds wrote:The whole concept

    didds wrote:
    The whole concept of cycle lanes is also flawed - we all see what happens when they are made. far better wold be proper cyclist and driver education about mutual road respect, and a 20 mph speed limit through towns and villages... a speed that a reasonable cyclist can acheive and thus just blend in with the traffic flow.

    I used to think that and then I saw some lanes done properly. They're vanishingly rare in the UK, but proper cycle lanes are well worth having where road width permits (even if we have to remove a car lane) and the powers that be won't make 20mph zones. One problem is that cycle lane width always seems to be the first thing to get cut in the UK if there's any problem: then they are flawed, I agree.

    The problem isn't a lack of respect. The problem is that it's a massively unequal situation at the moment, with light soft fleshy road users told to mix with fast-moving heavy motorised traffic. At least, we need more 20 and 30 limits on roads that are also key walking/cycling/riding routes. If that can't be done, close them to through motors.

    I can't quite do 20mph, but I can get close enough not to be much of a hold-up, so a mix of 20 zones, cycle lanes and rural routes would be a winner to me.

  • Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoEars are almost wholly

    Ears are almost wholly irrelevant. They help, of course. But actually looking here would have saved his life.

  • Chapeau Cafe Jersey1 year 8 weeks agoA bit see-through, though,

    A bit see-through, though, no? Thinking

  • Sustrans: Cyclists should slow down1 year 8 weeks agoa.jumper wrote: I also like

    a.jumper wrote:
    I also like the incongruity of modern bikes with antiquated bells.

    Me too! there's nothing like a cheery "ding ding", from a bike with a threadless headset, for example.

  • Sustrans: Cyclists should slow down1 year 8 weeks agoI live 300 yards from NCN 4

    I live 300 yards from NCN 4 where it becomes the Millennium Coastal Path. Sustrans have recently diverted part of it away from the coast west of Burry Port. Now there is a 100 meter stretch with blind bends about one meter wide along a tow path. This of course totally inadequate and I predict carnage one Sunday morning as the main path is frequently used for training. As both a dog walker and a cyclist busy shared use paths freak me out.

  • Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoScotchPoth wrote:Never use

    ScotchPoth wrote:
    Never use headphones when cycling,its fatal,the same goes for joggers and pedestrians particulary on cycle paths who cannot hear your warnings or bell and grumble when you go past at close proximity because of their selfish stupidity

    I think you mean...

    You should never fail to pay attention to your surroundings. You can wear headphones safely, it just requires you to be aware and use your eyes instead.

    How do you think deaf people cope!