- Sustrans tells cyclists using Strava and other apps to keep off shared use paths1 year 17 weeks agoI was in the process of
I was in the process of agreeing with Sustrans as I have seen plenty of examples where someone is clearly using a shared path for training or at least as a safer place to push on, and has worried pedestrians in doing so.
Then I remembered the number of times I've had to come to a stop by meandering dog or been nearly taken out by a dog on 15' of extended lead. Hows about issuing revised codes for them?
I'm a dog owner so it's nothing to do with disliking them. Truth is that many NCN routes have quickly become linear dog toilets.
That said, it's also worth noting that many older pedestrians, who have every right to be there, just do not hear you coming and perceive relatively low speeds as 'flying past'. Not a huge amount can be done about this other than a bit of consideration.
Which is the answer to many of life's problems.
- This week I have been mostly listening to...1 year 17 weeks agoRush:
Penguin Cafe Orchestra
- Carbon bike hunting, any ideas?1 year 17 weeks ago+1 for the Dolan Mythos
+1 for the Dolan Mythos
- Sustrans tells cyclists using Strava and other apps to keep off shared use paths1 year 17 weeks agoThis is sustrans trying to
This is sustrans trying to distract from how rubbish most of their network is, isn't it?
- Russian Cycling Federation comes out fighting for Katusha1 year 17 weeks agoThis is a farcical situation
This is a farcical situation and is not doing the image of the sport we love any good at all especially with all the LA stuff still hanging around.
- No war on Britain's roads says British Cycling incident data but much needs to be done to win the peace1 year 17 weeks agoAnyone who has witnessed a
Anyone who has witnessed a 4th cat road race will confirm that levels of spatial awareness amongst these BC members is dire.
- Sustrans tells cyclists using Strava and other apps to keep off shared use paths1 year 17 weeks agoCan someone show me where
Can someone show me where exactly they say in the 'revised' code of conduct "Don't use any app that encourages you to ride faster or with less care than you otherwise would"?
And where is the evidence that there has been any increase in bike/ped collisions due to Strava or any other app? this sounds like a simple error of judgement / lack of anticipation, caught on film, is being blamed on something when there's no proof whatsoever.
How about Sustrans tell cyclists "Don't be dicks - slow down around others"? And tell walkers "This is a shared path, so don't do anything erratic, and keep your bloody yappy dog on a short lead"?
The actual time you'd spend passing others on a ride like Bath-Bristol must be - what - 0.01% of the total ride? If someone wants to scorch it, 99.99% of the time they are doing no harm.
This smacks of CTC/Sustrans trying to get media miles by blaming a new thing (Strava) for an age-old problem that is never going to go away while disparate speeds and desires are mingled. It's all a bit Daily Mail - Ooooh, them cyclists are using this new-fangled phone thing that turns them into heartless zombie grannie-killers. BAN IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
Some walkers want to think they have the place to themselves and spread out all over the place, some cyclists want to go quickly and don't anticipate erratic moves, as shown in the video. Most people just get on and share nicely. I reckon the tiny fraction of harm-causing incidents caused by belligerent idiots on both sides would be statistically irrelevant compared to the bajillions of bike/pedestrian interactions that go on every year.
Me? I treat walkers on shared paths like I treat cars - assume they are deaf, blind and prone to veer all over without warning. No-one out for a blast wants to hurt anyone else, ending up in a pile of broken bits with a possible lawsuit on their doorstep.
- World Series Cycling in talks with UCI over ten-race Grand Prix series1 year 17 weeks agoWhat a load of rubbish, does
What a load of rubbish, does this also mean that the *ahem* UCI Worldtour is a failure, with its multitude of made up races in places that have no interest
- Buyers regret? - anyone else a sufferer?1 year 17 weeks agoyep i purchased apr nof bont
yep i purchased apr nof bont race light areo wheelset used for 4 month then hav sat in back rm doin absolutley nothing but gathering dust
- Tiso 12-speed wireless transmission finally breaks cover + video1 year 17 weeks ago+1
- British Cycling says 1 in 3 road traffic incidents involving its members take place at junctions or roundabouts1 year 17 weeks agothough in broad agreement
though in broad agreement (for what it is worth) with content think that having British Cycling' use its reported accident data to make generalisations is like asking the Amateur Athletics Association to comment on pedestrian safety
As to junction/roundabout design being a big issue - yes it is (for example french roundabouts discourage high speed entry exit - by using sharper angles) but driver attitude is the key issue - better road designs helps but is a bandage rather than a fix - investment in infrastructure doesn't make drivers more considerate or junctions fool proof
- Sustrans tells cyclists using Strava and other apps to keep off shared use paths1 year 17 weeks agoSome one at Sustrans lost
Some one at Sustrans lost their KOM
- Van Moof launch new urban bike1 year 17 weeks agowhere's the basket on the
where's the basket on the front?
- Suffering from a lack of winter motivation1 year 17 weeks agobikeboy76 wrote:What arebikeboy76 wrote:
What are rules 5 and 9? Also 1-4,6-8?
You'll find them here:
Honour and obey them my friend....
- This week I have been mostly listening to...1 year 17 weeks agoThe wife nagging.....!!
The wife nagging.....!!
- Eddy vinyl figure released1 year 17 weeks agoerrrr £35 is postage inc?
errrr £35 is postage inc? Knowing Rouleur probably not ( that'll be £5 please). Nice ideal but to expensive and I'd have to keep it locked away in case the dog takes a fancy to it
- Suffering from a lack of winter motivation1 year 17 weeks agoWhat are rules 5 and 9? Also
What are rules 5 and 9? Also 1-4,6-8?
- Eddy vinyl figure released1 year 17 weeks agoIt will sit very nicely to
It will sit very nicely to the box Rouler have come up with to keep your over priced mags in - a snip at £50
I kid you not - £50 for a freakin box!
Its a times like this i am reminded of the ancient proverb
"A fool and his money are soon parted"
- Wiggle joins Honda as co-sponsor of women's team backed by Bradley Wiggins1 year 17 weeks agoat last
- No war on Britain's roads says British Cycling incident data but much needs to be done to win the peace1 year 17 weeks agoAs a BC member, competitive
As a BC member, competitive racer and long term cycling commuter, I'm certainly more experienced on two wheels than the average newbie. Yes I know how to claim my lane, learned that one a long time ago.
I wasn't one of those surveyed.
- No war on Britain's roads says British Cycling incident data but much needs to be done to win the peace1 year 17 weeks ago"... also featuring
"... also featuring contraptions from Kaya Burgess of The Times CycleSafe Campaign... "
- Buyers regret? - anyone else a sufferer?1 year 17 weeks ago^
That's probably true, never
That's probably true, never thought of it like that.
- Livestream - watch David Walsh talking about Lance Armstrong tonight to Sunday Times1 year 17 weeks agoI really hope there is an on
I really hope there is an on demand released of this, was getting right into it, then my dad called needing some technical advice about his work computer.
So had to walk him through stuff and missed alot of it, so switched it off
- No war on Britain's roads says British Cycling incident data but much needs to be done to win the peace1 year 17 weeks agoActually I'm not sure that's
Actually I'm not sure that's true Dr F. My guess is that the number of out and out racing cyclists as a proportion of the whole is probably surprisingly small. As with the CTC lots of people are members of BC for the insurance and other membership benefits and BC have had various initiatives to boost their numbers over the years including everydaycycling.com which was very much aimed at commuter and leisure cyclists.
- Suffering from a lack of winter motivation1 year 17 weeks agoQuote:However, it looks likeQuote:
However, it looks like things are going to improve next week so now may be the time to meditate on rules 5 and 9.