• Commute Bag1 year 5 weeks agoI used a Cannondale messenger

    I used a Cannondale messenger bag for over 10 years but have just moved over to a DHB one.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-luggit-blok-18l-messenger-bag/

    Padded back, nice wide strap and I haven’t had any water inside it yet and it comes with a waterproof cover.

    Very happy with it.

  • Boardman launch 2014 Elite Series1 year 5 weeks agobikes look really good in

    bikes look really good in terms of design & spec, but i just cant get past that massive logo on the downtube. Why does there have to be so much writing all over them? Must be quite an easy life being the guy in charge of colours & logos for boardman bikes!!

  • Campaigners criticise "self-fulfilling prophecy" as Department for Transport predicts decline in cycling1 year 5 weeks agoNumber crunchers, don't you

    Number crunchers, don't you just love them!

  • Edinburgh snub pothole repairs for more cycle paths1 year 5 weeks agoNot sure how much it's

    Not sure how much it's changed from when I last rode a bike in Edinburgh maybe 2 years ago but the roads round there are shocking, an absolute disgrace. Far worse than London or Manchester.

    But Edinburgh Council have squandered hundreds of millions on a tram line, now going to waste another million on what will essentially be a few bits of paint and maybe a few "cyclists dismount" signs. Call me cynical but I can't see £1 million getting a comprehensive network of segregated cycle lanes...

    In this instance I agree that the money would far better spent on some proper road resurfacing.

  • Front Light for Really Dark Nights _ Any Recommendations??1 year 5 weeks agoExposure Joystick & White eye

    Exposure Joystick & White eye coupled with a Redeye on the rear I also carry a piggy back for longer night rides.

    I also have a Hope Vision One which I use as a flashing and back up light should the exposures burn out.

    The flare is amazing plus it also means I never have to spend long on the front as the thing dazzles the rider behind Smile

  • Front Light for Really Dark Nights _ Any Recommendations??1 year 5 weeks agopj wrote:Whatever you get try

    pj wrote:
    Whatever you get try to avoid being a total douche and blinding other cyclists with excessive glare and a misdirected beam, like nearly every other chopper fuckwit in Bristol at the moment.

    Abso-fricking-lutely. I think a lot of people are buying football stadium floodlights and strapping them on with zero thought to other people. It's not that hard, and if you notice it on other peoples' would you not think about how your own is directed? I admit that I was guilty, but after one person had put their hand over their eyes and said 'lower it mate!' I dealt with it straight away. Lower angle & carefully placed black tape to chop off the unnecessary high portion of the beam. It's particularly bad along the Grand Union Canal, pitch black for sections with less than 18 inches to the murky wetness, and a large number ploughing along with a fucking enormous beam on the front, really blinding you and meaning you actually have to slow down sharpish and stop to avoid carnage.

  • Campaigners criticise "self-fulfilling prophecy" as Department for Transport predicts decline in cycling1 year 5 weeks agoHow much money does the

    How much money does the cycling lobby have compared with the road lobby?

    What does cash make? Government policy.

  • Edinburgh snub pothole repairs for more cycle paths1 year 5 weeks agoif the cyclepaths are "high

    if the cyclepaths are "high quality" go where people want to go, are separated from the roads, offer priority over cars etc etc. Then taking money from the pot-hole repair budget can at least be justified. If it is the usual paint a few lines, then no it can't.

    However no cycle path is ever going to go from door to door, those potholed strewn roads are going to see cyclists using them. If the condition of the roads is to bad, they become dangerous.

    This is without considering that some road users wil ask why there "road tax" is being diverted to non tax payers.

    * what was it, £700M in bike sales last year which means £140M in vat, how much is being spent on cyclists!!!!

  • Campaigners criticise "self-fulfilling prophecy" as Department for Transport predicts decline in cycling1 year 5 weeks agomrmo wrote:. The average

    mrmo wrote:
    . The average journey is 8miles, well within the capability of current electric cars.

    I accept that the current technology can't match IC engines, and i doubt it ever can due to the energy density of hydrocarbons.

    So politicians will have to raise other taxes,

    Agree largely with your comments. Just wanted to point out David McKay's graph showing the energy consumption for different modes of travel:
    http://www.withouthotair.com/c20/page_128.shtml

    and his comments on possible problems with electric car use:
    http://www.withouthotair.com/c20/page_131.shtml

    He seems largely optimistic that this will be the future. So anyone pinning their hopes on bicycle travel being facilitated by the disappearance of cars due to hydrocarbon scarcity needs to think again.

  • Front Light for Really Dark Nights _ Any Recommendations??1 year 5 weeks agooozaveared wrote:did you know

    oozaveared wrote:
    did you know Exposure have an online Outlet shop that sell reconditioned / last years models etc. Look on their site.

    Strada Mk1 (2010) 480 lumens with bracket brand new £100.

    OK The Strada Mk 5 is 800 lumens but Exposure is good reliable solid kit and 480 lumens with a road specific shaped beam, the ability to have it on full and with a flash and it's dippable. Plus you can attach all the other Exposure lights to it and run them off the battery. They also have a RedEye Long cable so you can run that off the front light. £33.

    Basically £133 and you'd have top range kit from a few years ago.

    This is good advice.

    I'm running a 2010 Strada, it is still going strong and the dipped function ensures that you don't blind any oncoming traffic. I use a Flare on the back which takes a rechargeable battery rather than being a sealed unit and has flash or steady mode.

  • Wiggle rides into Twitter storm over 'make helmets compulsory' blog1 year 5 weeks agoWearing a helmet shouldn't be

    Wearing a helmet shouldn't be a law, not because I'm against them, on the contrary I wear one EVERY time I ride a bike.
    I just don't want it to be the final straw that makes Mrs Plodasalongtotheshops start using the car instead.

    The decline in bike users in countries where helmet use is mandatory (and enforced) is well documented (and a bit tragic really given the health benefits of having a bit of fitness in your routine) and serves as a warning to those who want it made law.

    The most tragic thing is not governments imposing it as a law, it's that humans shun wearing a safety item for vanity reasons and use it as an excuse for not riding a bike...

    If you don't want to wear a helmet that's your own choice but I'll keep wearing mine and thanking it for the numerous time I'm convinced it has protected my head.

  • Study finds paracetamol helps cyclists' endurance - but health and ethical questions arise1 year 5 weeks agofarrell wrote: Only users

    farrell wrote:

    Only users lose drugs.

    Or something.

    Road cycling podiums would suggest otherwise Smile

  • Campaigners criticise "self-fulfilling prophecy" as Department for Transport predicts decline in cycling1 year 5 weeks agoI haven't read the report

    I haven't read the report however the article is confusing.

    The graphics relate to trip length. A reduction in average trip length could result either from the same number of trips (but shorter) or an additional number of short trips. The latter would be consistent with trips moving to bicycle from car in urban areas, which would also be consistent with increased average trip lengths for cars. Which would be a good thing surely?

    To draw a sensible conclusion you would need to look at trends in overall kilometers travelled by mode as well. A split between intra urban and inter urban journeys would also be informative. Presumably Mr Peck has done that before castigating the DfT but the article doesn't make this clear.

    Transport modelling is indeed difficult and modelling changes in proportionally very small numbers as bicycle trips are is even more so. Interpreting the results, well....

  • Study finds paracetamol helps cyclists' endurance - but health and ethical questions arise1 year 5 weeks agoronin wrote: Tell 'em William

    ronin wrote:

    Tell 'em William s. Sessions Smile

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png

    Only users lose drugs.

    Or something.

  • Front Light for Really Dark Nights _ Any Recommendations??1 year 5 weeks agobendertherobot wrote:If you

    bendertherobot wrote:
    If you go Lezyne then Power, Super or Mega

    Looks, to me, like both the Power and Super take 18650 cells, so you can easily get some extra cheap ones.

    I'd pay extra for the Power Drive if your commutes are unlit and 30 minutes or more (there are days when you'll want to use it both ways). It's much better to have more than enough of both illumination and battery life than risk not having enough.

    The Mini Drive is a good little unit but the smaller battery means short run times.

    The Macro Drive runs off a 18650 too but it's sealed, so you can't swap the battery.

  • Study finds paracetamol helps cyclists' endurance - but health and ethical questions arise1 year 5 weeks agoCheaper than spending £4000

    Cheaper than spending £4000 on an aero bike (joke before the dopestasi put in their worth. For someone who suffers back pain I will often take a couple of paracetamol, I can't say i have ever noticed a performance changes but it does allow me to enjoy the ride if having a bad back day.

    Eating less fatty food will do much more to improve your times!

  • Campaigners criticise "self-fulfilling prophecy" as Department for Transport predicts decline in cycling1 year 5 weeks agoNeil753 wrote:We shouldn't

    Neil753 wrote:
    We shouldn't worry too much about the DfT predictions because of one little known fact.

    Thing is the politicians are still wedded to the idea that traffic growth is good, that cars mean prosperity.

    What i am a little concerned about is how politicians intend to deal with no petrol/diesel duty though. It is a nice little earner, and even if fossil fuel use falls i am doubtful that car use will stop. The average journey is 8miles, well within the capability of current electric cars.

    I accept that the current technology can't match IC engines, and i doubt it ever can due to the energy density of hydrocarbons.

    So politicians will have to raise other taxes,

  • Shimano Road Discs: Final thoughts (for now)1 year 5 weeks agoI have disc brakes on my

    I have disc brakes on my Genesis Day One, which is used for my commute. This bike does a lot of miles - around 150 a week, and gets filthy in autumn, winter and spring.
    If i used a road bike with calipers, ii would be constantly changing the brake blocks and rim wear would be considerably greater.
    My commute takes me through cobbled farm tracks, side roads, up and down steep hills, busy motorway intersections, A Roads B roads, city centre - stop every 10 yards roads and i have to say this - Disc brakes are far more responsive.
    So i believe it is horses for courses. If you can - get a bike with the right brakes to suit your ride. but to my mind you cant go wrong with discs

  • Wiggle rides into Twitter storm over 'make helmets compulsory' blog1 year 5 weeks ago700c wrote:If the wearing of

    700c wrote:
    If the wearing of a helmet to protect against impact is undermined by altered behaviour of others which puts the wearer more at risk, then this is a separate issue which has to be tackled through education and enforcement.

    We've seen countless education and enforcement campaigns intended to protect vulnerable road users over the last few years, yet the cyclist KSI rate continues to rise. There's a word for people who keep doing the same thing even though it has been shown over and again not to work.

    And this passing closer issue is one that drivers are almost certainly not aware of. Risk compensation's a subconscious phenomenon, unless you believe that people really think, "I'm protected, I'll do something dangerous".

    Quote:
    logically a helmet must provide a measure of protection against impact, considering for a moment the physics

    Sadly, logic is clobbered by evidence. For whatever reason, be it risk compensation by riders and drivers, or the actual protective value of helmets being vanishingly small, their use is failing to improve road safety.

Quote:
I am not trying to change anybody's mind with a 'hand-waving appeal', I'm not sure why you thought I was -please do what you want. I know some people think helmet-wearers are diametrically opposed to non-helmet-wearers. We really aren't, I'm sure we all want the same thing -to be able to cycle safely on the road.

Fair enough - I thought the idea of these discussions was to spread knowledge and change minds, but if you're just here for the finger exercise that's fine. Smile

But careful with your assumptions too. I just want to be able to ride safely - not necessarily on the same roads as motor vehicles - and for everyone else to be able to do so too, regardless of their age or confidence. We won't get that by encouraging people to wear helmets, it'll only come with Dutch/Danish style cycling infrastructure.

  • Lightless cyclist locked up by Lancashire Police1 year 5 weeks agostumps wrote:Sswindells - i

    stumps wrote:
    Sswindells - i disagree with your final paragraph -

    "To go ahead with a prosecution should only be reserved for the more sinister members of our society and those that are doing their best to evade justice."

    The law is there for a reason and just because your generally mr or mrs cannybody does not mean you dont get prosecuted.
    If you break the law then you have to suffer the consequences whatever they maybe. It may sound a bit draconian but we are now to soft on people who break the law and thats why the country is in such a mess.

    Yes. It's a clever bit of policing to tie up a cell and who knows how many man hours because some berk decided to ride without lights and not give his name. More policing like this is desperately needed, especially because it shows off the constabulary to the best possible advantage w.r.t. to public relations.

  • Artificial blood could pose future threat to clean cycling1 year 5 weeks agogazpacho wrote:They've been

    gazpacho wrote:
    They've been drinking it for years in the TV show 'Trueblood'...

    Try drinking 'V' instead, it's like riding a bike on acid! Big Grin

  • Campaigners criticise "self-fulfilling prophecy" as Department for Transport predicts decline in cycling1 year 5 weeks agoWe shouldn't worry too much

    We shouldn't worry too much about the DfT predictions because of one little known fact.

    When a 5 percent gap appears between supply and demand of an inelastic commodity (in this case, oil) the resultant cost increase is 400 percent. In other words, once the world's oil producers fail to keep up with the inexhorable demand we will see pump prices well beyond what many motorists can afford.

    With the price of everything we buy on the rise, and with wages stagnating, people may still have access to cars, but will use them far less. Lots of drivers I know are already cutting down on their mileage and trying to drive more economically.

    There will be a massive increase in cycling, but we will also see an increase in bicycle KSIs, as waves of inexperienced cyclists fill the streets, mixing it with an increasingly lawless style of driving similar to that found in many other countries, whilst law enforcement resources are taken away from roads and redeployed to cope with criminal gangs and terrorism. Segregation is the key.

    I don't know where how the DfT has arrived at their prediction, but if I went into Ladbrokes and tried to lay a bet on a massive increase in cycling over the next twenty years they'd tell me, "sorry mate, we don't take bets on dead certs".

  • Beginner's guide to cyclo-cross essentials1 year 5 weeks ago"One thing most cyclo-cross

    "One thing most cyclo-cross bikes have in common is the cables being routed along the top tube. This is to keep the gear cables out of mud's way, so your gears keep on shifting even when you’re riding through deep mud."

    Isn't this as much to do with shouldering comfort (and lack of snagging on clothes) as reliable shifting?

  • Driver heads down one way street the wrong way directly towards cyclist.1 year 5 weeks agodrivers never go the wrong

    drivers never go the wrong way on one way streets, never jump red lights and definitely never break the speed limit.

    The cyclist is obviously wrong, lycra lout!!! no lights, blocking traffic, etc etc

  • Phew Early Winter Windster Cycling Gloves1 year 5 weeks agoJust ordered a set of these

    Just ordered a set of these on the basis of recommendations from two of my clubmates. £5 off if you like them on facebook and then order through their facebook store.