- Giro Stage 161 year 28 weeks agoLooks like the break will
Looks like the break will take the stage, 10 minute lead with 60km to go. Pity, but hopefully some guaranteed points will keep me in the hunt.
- Rubbish1 year 28 weeks agoYep, fruit waste like banana
Yep, fruit waste like banana skins or apple cores may look unsightly but do biodegrade and put nutrients back into the surrounding eco-system. But dropping plastic items is not acceptable. It's not as if those plastic wrappers are heavy or take up any room and it's not difficult to keep one pocket for small items of rubbish like that.
- Advice for a niche in a niche1 year 28 weeks agoMainly because I think it'd
Mainly because I think it'd look sweet.
Also, because Ill be riding it with racks front and rear, Id like the security of 'beefy' brakes, rather than rim brakes.
- Giro Stage 161 year 28 weeks agoArgh!! Took out Boaro for
Argh!! Took out Boaro for Pirazzi!!!!
- (BRAND NEW) Specialized ALLEZ 2012 frame & Fork !!!!!1 year 28 weeks agoOoh. That's tempting. Just
Ooh. That's tempting. Just bought a new bike though, so Im afraid Ill have to hold off.
- SRAM wifli rear mechs - big difference?1 year 28 weeks agoPG-1070 12-28:
PG-1070 12-28: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-28 on a Force
Tiagra 12-30: 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27-30 on Apex ...
ones carbon the other's alloy ... now I go up anything
(well almost anything ). The Apex is WiFli and if I
really needed it can go to 32T
- High-end cycle theft warning as thieves steal bikes worth £20,000 from Cheltenham family1 year 28 weeks ago.. what's with the mean
.. what's with the mean spirited comments on the value of the bikes? Nobody would blink twice at the cost of a motor vehicle that was worth £20k ...
- Giro Stage 161 year 28 weeks agoI hope it doesn't stick,
I hope it doesn't stick, banking on another Rodriguez win today.
- Giro Stage 161 year 28 weeks agoGo Brandle.
- Giro Stage 161 year 28 weeks agoGot one of them. If it sticks
Got one of them. If it sticks i cant see past Bak for another stage win.
- Giro Stage 161 year 28 weeks agoIt took until 90km to go but
It took until 90km to go but we have a break:
Alessandro De Marchi (Androni Giocattoli-Venezuela
Mathias Frank (BMC Racing Team)
Io Izagirre (Euskaltel-Euskadi)
Lucca Mazzanti (Farnese Vini-Sella Italia)
Lars Ytting Bak (Lotto Belisol)
Nicolas Maes (Omega Pharma-QuickStep)
José Herrada Lopez (Movistar)
Stef Clement (Rabobank)
Matthias Brändle (NetApp)
Manuele Baoro (Saxo Bank)
Looks like I went with the wrong Rabo rider. Looks a strong break and should stick at least until the final climb.
- Giro Stage 161 year 28 weeks agoMade a few changes for today
Made a few changes for today so looking for a good result and see what i get left with for the sprint stage on 18.
Sergio Luis Henao (SKY)
Joaquin Rodriguez (KAT)
Ivan Basso (LIQ)
Ryder Hesjedal (GRM)
Allessandro De Marchi (AND)
Paolo Tiralongo (AST)
Damiano Caruso (LIQ)
Dario Cataldo (OPQ)
Stefano Pirazzi (COG)
Without realising i have 6 italians in my team. Hope one of them brings me some luck.
- SRAM wifli rear mechs - big difference?1 year 28 weeks agoIt will handle a 28 no
It will handle a 28 no bother. I have 2 sram mechs, the short cage does easily cope with a 28. A 32 is enormous, it will get you up anything, but extremely slowly. I swapped from a 12 28 to a 12 32 recently (only because I had to make sure I beat some less-bike knowledgeable friends up a certain hill), if you get the right cassette you can have everything on a 12-28 except for ( ithink) the 15.
- Myles' RAS diary, stage 1: "Around me are razor burns and panic"1 year 28 weeks agoExcellent read ... looking
Excellent read ... looking forward to the next
I know the feeling of the "last hill"
- Rubbish1 year 28 weeks agoI find it repulsive
I find it repulsive regardless of who is doing it, but especially those that skoosh and then hurl their gel packets. I rank it up there with smokers who stand by a bin outside the newsagents and drop their cellophane and silver paper on the ground as they light up.
It doesn't help that you see pro riders lobbing their Bidons during televised rides, but to be fair many of those are collected by fans as souvenirs.
You absolutely should never litter while riding (bio-degradable is an exception, but bear in mind, NIMBY country-folk don't like anything thrown in 'their' hedges or ditches, unless it's an old tractor...) - it came out with you, it should go home with you too.
- Rubbish1 year 28 weeks agoJust not acceptable.
Just not acceptable.
- Rubbish1 year 28 weeks ago+1. Fruit waste is ok, but
+1. Fruit waste is ok, but that's all. I always try and stop gasping for breath long enough to check out the wonderful views when I'm in the sticks, it's sad that some think it's ok to spoil it.
- Woman who completed London Marathon in 'bionic' suit plans London to Paris bike ride1 year 28 weeks agoImpressive woman. This did
Impressive woman. This did make me think about how everything depends on the spine, and how said spine is not protected on the bike.
- Giro Stage 161 year 28 weeks agohttp://forum.cyclingnews.com/
Cycling's best descenders?
- Rubbish1 year 28 weeks agoI have always regarded
I have always regarded chucking banana skins into fields as OK but nothing non biodegradable...
- First TT tomorrow - any advice?1 year 28 weeks agocool, thanks for the tips. I
cool, thanks for the tips. I tend to start slower and wind up rather than going full steam anyway but I'm going to try being a slave to the average speed on my computer then empty the tank near the end, as suggested.
re: the route - it's basically a couple of laps of a stretch of quiet dual carriageway so hopefully I wont get lost... not impossible though!
SammyG - yes it's the Barnesbury 10 in Cramlington. Apparently it's been oversubscribed the last 2 weeks so get there early to sign on. Keep an eye out for me if you go and say hello - black and white racelight with bright orange bar tape, I'll probably have a red jersey on & blue helmet.
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll track my ride on Endomondo and post it here so you can have a laugh.
- Look who's been "spotted" training1 year 28 weeks agoGkam84 wrote:I want to seeGkam84 wrote:
I want to see good, CLEAN racing and while there are still some around who try and CHEAT, then its not on, Contador should have been banned for the FULL length of his ban and not back dated to any time.
Agreed, backdating bans is stupid, if you ban someone it should be a proper ban, what point is there in banning someone but them not actually serving that ban. Bauge was the same, removing titles and wins isn't the same as actually stopping someone who BROKE THE RULES from competing.stumps wrote:
The amount of stuff in him, in the words of Sean Kelly, would not have improved his performance one bit. But it was a banned substance so i agree with his ban before people try and shoot me down.
The problem was that 'the amount of stuff in him' wasn't the only thing they found. Reports were that there were plasticisers in his blood indicating an illegal blood transfusion but that the test for those was not officially signed off and they couldn't use that in the case.
The ability to hide drugs is now so advanced that it's more likely the case that what they found was only the tip of the iceberg and that if you've got anything illegal in your blood (however convoluted the story is for it getting there, spanish steak my arse) you should be punished as if they'd found something like EPO because odds are that something like that is in there somewhere too.
- First TT tomorrow - any advice?1 year 28 weeks ago30 minutes (20 mph) is a good
30 minutes (20 mph) is a good target for your first attempt.
- Don't over-inflate your tyres. Try 1 bar (15psi) for every 10kg.
- Don't eat or drink too much beforehand. Warm up adequately and get to the start line 2 or 3 minutes before your turn.
- Make sure you know where the course goes.
- Don't go off too hard or you'll be dying after 5 miles and it's only half way. Try to ride hard but controlled then wind up the effort towards the end. Pacing takes experience so don't expect to crack it on your first run.
- Although you'll want to be 'aero', keep your head up, ride safely and enjoy yourself.
Hopefully once you've caught your breath and found out your time you'll be hooked and want to come back next week and set a new PB. Let us know how you get on.
- Just In: Cyfac Gothica CS1 year 28 weeks agoRiding a Cyfac Megacross with
Riding a Cyfac Megacross with carbon stays and it is a simply stunning ride. It's sprightly enough for club runs and feels fine on unmade Welsh mountain tracks too. Just ridden the Golden Flandrian on it and it handled 25km of cobbles in the 250km ride just fine. I got tired of leg but not sore of bum. They really know what they are doing when they build a frame.
- Advice for a niche in a niche1 year 28 weeks agois there a reason you want a
is there a reason you want a disc? because a bottom-of-the-line mechanical disc calliper isn't an improvement on a decent set of dual pivot brakes. the BB5 is the absolute minimum i'd pay my own money for, and the BB7 is the one you really want; that's half your budget gone though