• Coroner concludes Venera Minakhmetova died after riding through red light at Bow Roundabout1 year 3 weeks agoThis is hideous. To suggest,

    This is hideous.

    To suggest, without any real evidence, that the cyclist brought it upon herself is offensively dismissive to the deceased and her family and friends.

    For the coroner to then to make the leap, as it seems she has, from "most likely" cycled through a red light, to "she cycled through a red light" beggars belief.

    The crash investigator and Hassell both seem to be jumping to conclusions, and someone needs to have a word with both of them about these kind of loose unverified (unverifiable?) comments.

  • Vuelta Pais Vasco - Stage 41 year 3 weeks agoDurasek ( ) is the sole

    Durasek ( Big Grin ) is the sole leader with a 48' gap with 23km to go.

  • Red light 'hoppers'1 year 3 weeks agobikeboy76 wrote:KiwiMike

    bikeboy76 wrote:
    KiwiMike wrote:
    "Same biker comes cruising past" <- explicitly states OP was occupying a section of road wide enough for others to pass. There is no obligation to not utilise all space available, particular to then obtain primary position ahead of motorists - which is the purpose of ASL's that TfL et al instruct cyclists to use.

    Nice try at a quote out of context. I said "get to the next junction and stop at the light. Same biker comes cruising past..."
    Why would I not have already stopped at the appropriate stop line? Why would I not have already stopped in a ASL if one is available? I don't know if you ride in the UK much KiwiMike but the lights are always set back from the junction. These guys are riding past me, through the lights and stopping on the edge of the junction just as far as the traffic will allow.

    If your argument is 'let them get on with it' then fine, others have said that already, but you are attempting to dress this up as my mistake. I suspect you regularly get out dragged by roadies at the lights. See you next Tuesday.

    Heh. No need to get personal there petal. I do about 6-7,000km a year in the UK and cycle in London semi-daily. Am I allowed to comment now? Smile

    I wasn't taking anything out of context - I can envisage your setup exactly. So you're right on the second white line of the ASL, and your gripe is with them riding a meter or so beyond then stopping. OK, that's a £50 fine if the light is red. You are actually talking about RLJ. Different discussion.

  • Is this the world’s lightest cargo bike?1 year 3 weeks agoMaybe not THE lightest... we

    Maybe not THE lightest... we made a 15.1kilo bike complete with the stock steel frame and fork for a 24 hour race.
    http://omniumcargo.dk/655km-in-24-hours/

    and our team riders won 1st and 2nd place at the very hilly world Cargo Messengers champs in Lausanne in 2013 too...
    http://omniumcargo.dk/omnium-cargo-team-rider-wins-world-championship/

  • Best Cycling kit?1 year 3 weeks agotry on different stuff from

    try on different stuff from brands that you like on, find the best fit and stick to that brand forever, eventually you will find what items fit best from each brand.

  • Vuelta Pais Vasco - Stage 41 year 3 weeks agoAndy Schleck still near the

    Andy Schleck still near the front... that's a turn-up.

  • Red light 'hoppers'1 year 3 weeks agoThis is the bane of my life

    This is the bane of my life on one stretch of my commute. Four sets of lights set a couple of hundred yards apart.

    Further down the road is a bus lane which ends at a set of lights with an ASL box at the front. Usually, I'll stop behind any buses because they have a clear run for a quarter of a mile to the next bus stop... Mr and Miss slow however, invariably sail past me, wriggle their way into the box and hold everybody up as they wobble away from the lights at 3mph. There is no feeder lane into the ASL box, and frequently they'll be pushing themselves along with one foot on the kerb to get up the side of the bus.

    These two sections of road really make me hate a lot of other cyclists.

  • Pictures of your Bike1 year 3 weeks agosome nice bike posted so

    some nice bike posted so far!

    here's mine

    the work bike

    the good weather bike


    the bmx collection (a couple have changed & more added Big Grin Big Grin )

    the around town bike

  • Garmin to launch Edge 1000 bike computer1 year 3 weeks ago£439 is ridiculous. My mobile

    £439 is ridiculous. My mobile phone (Moto G) cost just £99 and does everything a Garmin can do - it just doesn't mount particularly nicely, it's not waterproof and the battery life is about half that of a dedicated unit. For those reasons, I have an Edge 800, but boy does my el-cheapo mobile dump on it from a height when it comes to usability, features and screen res.

    I'm just nipping off to search Kickstarter for an Android-powered bike computer.

  • Brooks Cambium C17 saddle1 year 3 weeks agoHaving fondled one, I can't

    Having fondled one, I can't help thinking that it would be a bit abrasive and you might start wearing through Lycra rather quickly. And yes... pretty heavy. And for those of us with soft parts, surely your hard parts work their way into the saddle leaving your soft parts to sit on the saddle?

  • Coroner concludes Venera Minakhmetova died after riding through red light at Bow Roundabout1 year 3 weeks agoUnless the coronor has ever

    Unless the coronor has ever cycled the coundabout, or more accurately, has cycled it before and after the works, then i doubt the opinion that it is 'safer' for cyclists. This is further cast into doubt by the opinion based on heresay and assumption that the cyclist must have jumped a red light. Given these two points, and the (assumed) lack of experience cycling i don't hold any faith in the opinion expressed by the coronor.
    I can't imagine what the family are going through, and hope i (nor my family or friends) never have to find out

  • 2014 Boardman CX Team... Does it do what it says on the tin?1 year 3 weeks agoI've had mine for 18 months,

    I've had mine for 18 months, and I've only just really started tinkering with it. after wearing out the original tyres I've put 32mm Gatorskins on it and it's miles faster. Not as fast as my road bike, but it's definitely very quick.

    I swapped out the Microshift front mech, which wasn't very good, for a 10 speed Sram Force one. It wasn't exactly urgent, but I'm glad I did it. I think it was £30 from my LBS. I've also changed the brakes to Hayes CX because I found it too hard adjust the BB5s that came on it. Again, that was after well over a year and I wouldn't rush to do either.

    The wheels aren't great, but they're very tough, so they do the job for me through the winter in Glasgow. I'm toying with something new for the summer and for CX racing in the autumn though.

    I would also suggest you don't let Halfords within a million miles of building the thing. They did almost everything wrong on mine, and it's taken a good few trips to the bike shop to unpick all the damage and get it working like it should. Paying someone who knows what they are doing it put it together will save you a lot of hassle down the line.

  • Video: Cyclists behaving badly - helmetcam cyclist turns his lens on other cyclists1 year 3 weeks agoI think on reflection this

    I think on reflection this video has raised a valid point around blame.

    Do you know what, there are some people out there who are doing some stupid and dangerous stuff on bikes... this video is a great demonstration of the sort of behaviour that is going on around us all the time...

    Its true, cyclists aren't perfect.

    There, its done, the 'cat' is out of the bag.

    With that admissions, can we move on? Instead of blaming each other, RLJ's or whatever for the tiny minority of drivers that behave awfully around cyclists who in turn blame our attitudes to justify their actions, can we look for a uniformed response to...

    "you cyclists, you think you are so superior, but actually, you are the bane of the roads'.

    The answer is not ensuring everyone rides perfectly, its negating the argument in the first place... Just because a drug enriched teenager rides the wrong way up a one way street swigging cider and chatting on his phone, does not mean my kids should be put in a situation where their father is taken away from them.

    In any other context this would not be accepted... replace the term cyclist, with woman, gay, black etc etc and you'd see how ugly the argument that 'we' all have to behave properly or 'we' deserve it' is.

    Its time we moved on.

  • Red light 'hoppers'1 year 3 weeks agoKiwiMike wrote:"Same biker

    KiwiMike wrote:
    "Same biker comes cruising past" <- explicitly states OP was occupying a section of road wide enough for others to pass. There is no obligation to not utilise all space available, particular to then obtain primary position ahead of motorists - which is the purpose of ASL's that TfL et al instruct cyclists to use.

    Nice try at a quote out of context. I said "get to the next junction and stop at the light. Same biker comes cruising past..."
    Why would I not have already stopped at the appropriate stop line? Why would I not have already stopped in a ASL if one is available? I don't know if you ride in the UK much KiwiMike but the lights are always set back from the junction. These guys are riding past me, through the lights and stopping on the edge of the junction just as far as the traffic will allow.

    If your argument is 'let them get on with it' then fine, others have said that already, but you are attempting to dress this up as my mistake. I suspect you regularly get out dragged by roadies at the lights. See you next Tuesday.

  • Red light 'hoppers'1 year 3 weeks agoThe argument I can't fathom

    The argument I can't fathom the most is its ok to jump red lights as I'm not a danger to anyone else.

    What about the physical and emotional damage you end up causing to the car and driver that may hi you off your bike because you were too impatient to wait for a green light?

  • Coroner concludes Venera Minakhmetova died after riding through red light at Bow Roundabout1 year 3 weeks agoVery interesting! no

    Very interesting! no witnesses to give counter evidence, the victim cannot defend herself, and for the met it is easier to blame that who cannot answer. This is wrong and there seems to be no change in the procedure of cyclist accident analysis. What has changed since the deaths of last year to these? Absolutely nothing with the met, and as the ones to report on the accidents there are serious flaws. Regardless of how many junctions get redone there clearly is another issue that needs to be addressed. It is the way that we penalize cyclists for being on the road while giving leeway for bad driver behaviour.

  • Video: Cyclists behaving badly - helmetcam cyclist turns his lens on other cyclists1 year 3 weeks agomooleur wrote:Massively agree

    mooleur wrote:
    Massively agree with everyone saying this vid is pointless.

    It's also damaging, and only really serves to stir the pot even more.

    Since it's release I've had about three people post it to my Facebook wall with the hidden implication of "see what you people have done!?" - not least had countless colleagues pipe up with "Have you seen that video?" Followed by inane criticism of why cyclists should stop to let busses past etc etc etc etc etc etc.

    SIGH. Videotrolls.

    Same here. Two colleagues and I walked to the local sandwich shop at lunchtime. A cyclist went through a red light right next to us.

    'F*****g cyclists,' said one colleague. 'A menace, and they use the road for free!'

  • Vuelta Pais Vasco - Stage 41 year 3 weeks agoAbout halfway, peloton split

    About halfway, peloton split into two groups with a break of six up the road:

    Roy, Durasek, Dumoulin, Rolland, Spilak, Bakelandts

  • Video: Cyclists behaving badly - helmetcam cyclist turns his lens on other cyclists1 year 3 weeks agoOldRidgeback

    OldRidgeback wrote:
    cyclingDMlondon wrote:
    OldRidgeback wrote:
    The bit of the guy taking off his jacket is rather droll. Bet he won't do that again in a hurry. Red light running isn't wise on a bicycle in busy traffic either. But I have to say, hopping a kerb and using the pavement when there isn't anyone around harms no one. Several of those clips shows show cyclists avoiding having to wait by using the pavement and in several, there are no pedestrians. So exactly who was at risk there? As it happens I recognised the junction from when I last stayed in York too and it is a busy one at peak times. Hopping a kerb there when there are no pedestrians reduces congestion for motorists as well as cutting journey times and also reduces risk, as long as there are no pedestrians around.

    Yes, and doing 180 mph in your Porsche on an empty motorway should be allowed, too. After all, who is at risk?

    Any law student quickly learns that there are 'conduct offences', and 'result offences'. The former is complete as soon as the action is taken (with the appropriate mens rea if appropriate). Running red lights comes into that category. It doesn't matter who is at risk, or who isn't at risk. It is illegal, end of bloody story.

    As I asked a guy a while back, who had gone through a red light on his bicycle (I still caught up with him): 'mate, have you ever wondered why drivers hate us?'

    'No..? he replied.

    'Because of stupid c***s like you,' I answered.

    (not 100% true, as I've posted before, but not acting like prize twats on bicycles, would go some way to repairing the damage)

    There's just a slight difference between your 180mph Porsche and someone hopping a kerb at say 10mph on a bicycle. It's called kinetic energy. There's rather a lot more of it in a 1.5tonne car travelling at 180mph than a bicycle and rider weighing maybe 90kg travelling at 10mph. It's physics. The bicycle can stop in a short distance. The car can't; more physics.

    And as a previous post says, the latest guidance to the police is not to bother with pavement cycling when there is no visible risk.

    There are degrees.

    Aaaaaaaaaaaand the point goes straight over the top of your head.

    Kinetic energy is not the point. 'risk' is not the point.

    What is the point, is that it's illegal.

    If you really can't get your tiny brain around that fact, then *shrug* .. have a nice life.

  • Video: "Amazing" - Danny MacAskill's verdict on BMX skills of NZ twins aged FOUR1 year 3 weeks agojoemmo wrote:anarchy

    joemmo wrote:
    anarchy wrote:
    Their Dad is dead when their Mam sees this

    Showed this to my wife this morning since our 2 year old likes tootling around the fringes of the local skatepark on his balance bike. "Don't even think about encouraging that" was the response. I did think about it though... could maybe build him a little ramp in the back garden when she's out.

    Dunno where you are but several BMX clubs do strider bike sessions for little 'uns. A BMX track is probably better for a kid on a strider bike too as crashing on a dirt jump doesn't hurt as much as a concrete one. Most tracks will have at least one straight with jumps that aren't so high. Letting kids roll off a big jump and then push themselves over a series of smaller ones is a good way to learn. That's how we do it.

    The child will need a full face lid, gloves, long sleeves and long trousers and if you have skate pads for knees and elbows, they're a good idea too. Most clubs have a few club helmets. They also often have club bikes for a parent to have a shot as well.

  • Coroner concludes Venera Minakhmetova died after riding through red light at Bow Roundabout1 year 3 weeks agoWould this be the confusing

    Would this be the confusing red light that only applies to the cycle-lane? Introduced during the last round of "improvements"...

  • 2014 Boardman CX Team... Does it do what it says on the tin?1 year 3 weeks agoIt's very good value for

    It's very good value for money
    Yes - I have commuted with a rack and laptop as well as raced CX and done the flanders sportive on mine.
    Wouldn't say it's a perfect fast commuter; I am quicke on my shiny (best) bike but with 28mm conti gatorskin slicks I am within a km/hr or so or good bike.
    I haven't swapped anything yet (2 years and going strong)
    No - I have raced in hub deep mud for 2 winters and now need a new rear minial trueing required in that time.
    Crud race pack guards front and rear - work fine

  • Video: Cyclists behaving badly - helmetcam cyclist turns his lens on other cyclists1 year 3 weeks agoFunny how the film maker is

    Funny how the film maker is getting more blame than the people in the film.

  • Coroner concludes Venera Minakhmetova died after riding through red light at Bow Roundabout1 year 3 weeks agoWould this be the confusing

    Would this be the confusing red light that only applies to the cycle-lane? Introduced during the last round of "improvements"...

  • Downhill on snow1 year 3 weeks agoDidn't realise it was the

    Didn't realise it was the same guy - I remember seeing that clip