- Has it come to this?1 year 7 weeks agoNope. Not over reacting. It
Nope. Not over reacting. It is decidedly more dangerous out there and when you are being targeted by space heads in silver BMWs and totally idiotic young girls in cars it often takes courage to even get out on yer bike!!
For me, there has been an inexorable rise in the "couldn't care less for any other road user" and "fk you, you're a cyclist" mentality of so many motorists - certainly over the past 5 years or so. You're cut up, overtaken on blind bends, passed way too close, shouted and sworn at more than I've experienced before and I've been riding seriously for almost 40 years.
On almost every ride of 20+ miles you can expect a near death experience, or a cataclysmic moment of mental madness from someone in a vehicle. You have to stay extra alert - even when you're very tired - and listen hard to what the traffic is doing behind you and on every blind bend. Or you're dead.
And the very worst offenders? Invariably, BMW drivers and women!!!!
Stay safe and ride smart. That means no headphones, no cellphones and no music that can distract you, or stop you hearing what's going on around you.
- Chain to cassette ratio....1 year 7 weeks agoWhy not have 2 chains per
Why not have 2 chains per cassette and swap them over at regular mileage intervals then the wear on the cassette will be more in line with that on the chains.
- Eneco Tour 20131 year 7 weeks agoMini preview from Lotto team
Mini preview from Lotto team here http://www.lottobelisol.be/en/voorbeschouwing-eneco-tour-1382.htm
Looking forward to some fantasy racing after the break since Tour of Poland. Thanks for a great game
- Chain to cassette ratio....1 year 7 weeks agoTechnically speaking you
Technically speaking you should change both as you will find the new chain will wear out faster. That said it’s a rather expensive way of doing things and if perfect meshing isn’t high on your list i.e. pro racer I wouldn’t worry about it and carry on the way you are doing it two chains per cassette. No doubt someone else will give you different advice but it works for me.
- Pro Team kit - Naff or not1 year 7 weeks agoNo different to wearing the
No different to wearing the team strip of your favourite soccer or rugby team.
- Two cyclists injured in latest case of aggression against riders in Midlands1 year 7 weeks agoAssault with a lot of
Assault with a lot of witnesses. If plod don't prosecute accordingly then it will just reinforce the fact that cars can be used as weapons with less chance of proper punishment.
- Arrest made in connection with series of attacks on cyclists in Leicestershire1 year 7 weeks agodp24 wrote:So, by mydp24 wrote:
So, by my reckoning, that should be three counts of assault occasioning ABH, and at least one of GBH.
I'll believe it when I see it.
Quite, but, as we all know, because they were in a car that doesn't count. I'm going for 'Driving without reasonable consideration'? That's the one they use when a motorist splashes a pedestrian by driving through a puddle.
- Tenerife help1 year 7 weeks ago*wonders whether there is
*wonders whether there is much of a market in setting up a training camp business with airport pick ups, accommodation and route support...*
- Pro Team kit - Naff or not1 year 7 weeks agoI don't really care, wearing
I don't really care, wearing pro team kit seems a bit odd to me. Club kit is absolutely fine, of course, otherwise wear what you want.
Now, baggies and peaked helmets on road bikes are another thing altogether..........
- Pro Team kit - Naff or not1 year 7 weeks ago+1 for club kit.
+1 for club kit.
- Cadence magnet a slightly better solution1 year 7 weeks ago+1 from me on buying a small,
+1 from me on buying a small, rare-earth disc magnet from ebay.
- 'No link' between motorists speaking on mobile phones and having collisions1 year 7 weeks agoIf using a mobile while
If using a mobile while driving has no effect on the number of collisions then perhaps the study simply highlights the terrible standard of driving in the US?
- Two cyclists injured in latest case of aggression against riders in Midlands1 year 7 weeks agoandybwhite wrote:Er... whyandybwhite wrote:
Er... why traffic? surely this is an assault - with a car door - not a motoring offence
FFS why can't the plod break out of their narrow minded motor offence mindset!
100% agree, and the same goes for the CPS and the judges and the prosecution.
- Cadence magnet a slightly better solution1 year 7 weeks agoSeconded for the pedal
Seconded for the pedal spindle magnet, very neat and nearly invisible.
- Pro Team kit - Naff or not1 year 7 weeks agoI dont care, it is just good
I dont care, it is just good to see people on bikes but I think it is especially nice when I see people in club kit. Its good to see who someone rides for, or where they are from. It often is a good conversation starter too.
- Cadence magnet a slightly better solution1 year 7 weeks agoI use a small disc-shaped
I use a small disc-shaped magnet that fits neatly over the end of the pedal spindle. A couple of quid off eBay and pretty much invisible:
- Driver who killed Oxford cyclist found not guilty of dangerous driving, guilty of careless1 year 7 weeks agoGreg Collins wrote: got any
Greg Collins wrote: got any data to support these assumptions
Greg: have a look at the news. A survey has shown that the number of car accidents has not decreased since the ban on peaking on a mobile while driving. Are you saying that eating a sandwich is more dangerous than speaking on a mobile phone?
- Driver who killed Oxford cyclist found not guilty of dangerous driving, guilty of careless1 year 7 weeks agofizrar6 wrote:Eating afizrar6 wrote:
Eating a sandwich in a car is not as dangerous as cycling in the dark with no lights
Got any data to support those assertions?
In the meantime; blame the victim!
- Driver who killed Oxford cyclist found not guilty of dangerous driving, guilty of careless1 year 7 weeks agotoetruck wrote:workhardtoetruck wrote:workhard wrote:
Until the current generation of silver haired folk; who regard car use and ownership as a freedom and a right...
As the defendant is quoted as being 30 yrs old, I'm assuming you're talking about the judiciary here, rather than 'older' drivers? In my experience, it is invariably younger motorists who seem to see driving as an absolute right, rather than the 'privilege allowable by license' that it actually is. That being the case, the situation would likely be even more in favour of drivers in the future, rather than less. Perhaps it might be worth being careful what we wish for...
see my reply to doc. The judiciary and senior road engineers, county council highways committee chairs, etc are of a generation for whom the car is a liberator. They have a car-centric mindset. Until the next generation takes over nothing will meaningfully change for cyclists.
- Louis Garneau Course helmet1 year 7 weeks ago. . . if you're a half body
. . . if you're a half body mannequin on a bike going just over 40kmh?
- Merida Ride Lite 88 road bike1 year 7 weeks agoReally enjoying riding this
Really enjoying riding this bike. Fast, light, looks great, and handles really nicely - enjoying turning into fast corners and powering out of them too. Also finding it a comfortable commuter: race bikes are much more comfortable than the straight bar crowd might think.
No hint of any likelihood of the toe-wheel clash hinted at in the review.
So, with a carbon fork @ £499... I like it.
- FS: De Rosa full carbon monocoque tapered fork1 year 7 weeks agoLong shot but is this still
Long shot but is this still for sale
- Update: Bail granted to four murder suspects in Pontypool cyclist's death1 year 7 weeks agoThe have now be bailed until
The have now be bailed until 2 October
- Two cyclists injured in latest case of aggression against riders in Midlands1 year 7 weeks ago*
- Dutch inventor announces dual drive bike powered by hand crank & pedals1 year 7 weeks agoif you use arm and leg cranks
if you use arm and leg cranks you can get 31% more max.power output than a normal bike at the same heart rate! you also have a better endurance performance. This is the result of a study of the New Mexico state university
see http://www.ihpva.org/HParchive/PDF/21-v6n3-1987.pdf the study is shown on the pages 8+9+18
There is another arm and leg crank bike www.varibike.com
The varibike is already on the market