- Trek Project One competition: the shortlist1 year 3 weeks agoI'd apply this logic...
I'd apply this logic...
- disqualify any design incorporating flames, obviously not cool
- disqualify any design with non colour matching saddle and bar tape, again not cool
- disqualify any design that prioritises deep section rims over higher spec gruppo, again very not cool
- and of course disqualify anything with any brown in the colour scheme, need I say more...
& #14 gets my vote
- Factor Vis Vires road bike1 year 3 weeks agoCJSTEVENS1955 wrote:As a veryCJSTEVENS1955 wrote:
As a very British product, its a shame that Sky are not riding these in the pro peleton
It's not UCI legal. The bike isn't designed for the pro peloton, it's a concept bike to show what you can do with a little bit of out of the box thinking. From an engineering standpoint, it's very interesting and the integration of all the components, the full internal routing is the way forward.
- 176 junctions in Greater Manchester upgraded to improve cycle safety1 year 3 weeks agoI commute in Manchester and
I commute in Manchester and don't think there is enough money or space for dutch style segregation in most roads. However saying that, there is enough to facilitate commuter routes on the main roads in and out e.g. Stretford road and Cheetham Hill road.
That is where the money shoud be spent, ensuring that cars are not parked on roads where there are many side streets better suited.
- More from Core: New Fizik Volta saddle, Ergon, Guy Martin's Rourke bike, Brooks spanner, Nalini shoes, Endura clothing… a glowing pump and lots more!1 year 3 weeks ago.
- Road to ruin: Councils warn they may have to ignore pothole repairs on some roads1 year 3 weeks agoTo all those motorists who
To all those motorists who claim that they pay for the roads through their 'road tax', ask yourselves why the roads are no longer maintained despite you paying just as much 'road tax' as ever!
This article is perfect evidence that local roads are paid through council tax not 'road tax' and because the councils are not able to raise council tax (both a blessing and a curse) they do not have the funds to fix the roads.
- 176 junctions in Greater Manchester upgraded to improve cycle safety1 year 3 weeks agoPaul_C wrote:
proper DutchPaul_C wrote:
proper Dutch style segr[eg]ation between cyclists and motorised traf[f]ic
Really? And then watch the cycle path completely disintegrate over time while they barely fix the roads? I'd much rather take my chances on the road, TBH.
- Ride London Ballot Results1 year 3 weeks agoI got in, and I had not even
I got in, and I had not even applied! Got a shock when the magazine arrived. Did not even know there had been an application process. I had applied last year though and not got in, so it seems they rolled over my application. So those who did not get in this year have a better chance next year.
- Factor Vis Vires road bike1 year 3 weeks agoAs a very British product,
As a very British product, its a shame that Sky are not riding these in the pro peleton
- Factor Vis Vires road bike1 year 3 weeks agoI love projects like this,
I love projects like this, some engineering firm in Diss decides to make a bike that's as wacky as they can manage. Potentially revolutionise the industry as a result. We don't do enough do this in Britain any more.
- Just in: Pinnacle Arkose 21 year 3 weeks agoHave you seen this
Have you seen this
This would get rid of the bifter
- Road to ruin: Councils warn they may have to ignore pothole repairs on some roads1 year 3 weeks agoYOU CAN’T CUT BACK ON
YOU CAN’T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!
- Just in: Pinnacle Arkose 21 year 3 weeks agoI've got a Pinnacle MTB in a
I've got a Pinnacle MTB in a similar colour, looks ace in real life IMO!
- Tour of Dubai Stage 11 year 3 weeks agoHhmmmm. Not got much to say.
Hhmmmm. Not got much to say. Who is this phinney guy?
- 176 junctions in Greater Manchester upgraded to improve cycle safety1 year 3 weeks agono, sorry. Trixie mirrors are
no, sorry. Trixie mirrors are a cheap stopgap measure. What we want is proper Dutch style segration between cyclists and motorised trafic in BOTH time and space... Trixie mirrors require the driver to actually look at them... not good enough.
- 176 junctions in Greater Manchester upgraded to improve cycle safety1 year 3 weeks agoJust one more thing for
Just one more thing for motorists to ignore.
- Factor Vis Vires road bike1 year 3 weeks agoDo you get road muck and
Do you get road muck and assorted guff spraying up from the front wheel through the split downtube?
- The best cyclists are more handsome, says research using Tour de France cyclists1 year 3 weeks agoI know he was later stripped
I know he was later stripped of his title but Floyd Landis???
- Just in: Pinnacle Arkose 21 year 3 weeks agoArgos 74, sorry to hear your
Argos 74, sorry to hear your bike was pinched. There's still the Arkose 1 with BB7/Sora and 3 with BB7 SL/105 in the 2014 range so there's most bases covered. The £100 gap between the 2 and 3 last year was so close that we decided to try this. Calling it the Arkose 2 was just down to price hierarchy.
The reason for the bar-end was that we wanted to offer full hydro brakes at a reasonable price, that meant we needed an alternative shifter. The idea for a simple 1x10 / single bar-end shifter fitted with the generally fit+forget hydro brakes and we then had a spec that we all liked (I'm saying 'we', I'm deflecting blame / sharing credit where due!). In future it may have a front mech, or 1x10 like this again.
The colour, I blame road.cc's pics or a lack of sunshine: ) it's a metallic green, looks great in natural light (or a dark room, to some)
- First look: New products from Green Oil, Prologo and Red Ant Precision1 year 3 weeks agoFour quid for a cloth to wipe
Four quid for a cloth to wipe your bike with? I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April Fools' day.
Made from plant-based materials ...... so is my wife's worn out cotton tee shirt which I'm currently using.
Fair traded ...... so was my wife's worn out tee shirt .......
Recyclable ...... so is my wife's worn out tee shirt ......
Do they really sell any of these?
- Tour of Dubai Stage 11 year 3 weeks agoenrique wrote:chiv30enrique wrote:chiv30 wrote:
depends on if you are including top ten gc etc, if you aren't then it's fine I think if you are then it's another 19 points at least due to Cummings and Phinney being 1,2 on gc
I've got you down for these riders with the scores after each name:
29.0 Rui Faria Da Costa
20.8 Thor Hushovd 5
19.7 Taylor Phinney 55
19.3 Alex Dowsett
17.7 Mark Renshaw
16.8 Giacomo Nizzolo
15.8 Roberto Ferrari
7.9 Stephen Cummings 48
3.0 Alessandro Malaguti
Phinney has 35 FLP, 10 GC, 5 PC and 5 YR points.
Cummings has 30 FLP, 9 GC, 4 PC and 5 TM points.
My fault for some strange reason I was thinking stage finishes were more points , plus I have 3 bmc riders , if that's not allowed swap Thor out for someone of your choice around the same value (dont give me anyone who's scored more than 5 points today either if you do) sorry
- Just in: Pinnacle Arkose 21 year 3 weeks agoSome thoughtful touches here,
Some thoughtful touches here, such as the calliper mounts and the chain catcher; I like it.
I suspect the hand of James Olsen was involved in this radical re-design; he's the guy previously responsible for the huge success of Genesis Bikes and he could do a lot of good for Evans' reputation.
But yeah, that colour?
- Factor Vis Vires road bike1 year 3 weeks agoI'm not sure that it has been
I'm not sure that it has been thought through that radically, a Moulton or an Airnimal look like a much more clean sheet exercise to be honest.
Why have that size wheel if you don't have to? Why not disc brakes? Suspension?
I am sure there are more.
I know I am meant to be in awe of this and I know I will never ride one, but somehow it just irritates me. With that much money to spend I'd want something radical.
- Just in: Pinnacle Arkose 21 year 3 weeks agoCan't see how this is an
Can't see how this is an improvement over the 2013 model, or the reasoning for the changes. Given the choice, I'd plump for the 2013 model over the new version.
The 2013's Avid BB5s (replaced by hydraulics) gave plenty of consistent stopping power, and the conventional shifters worked well on and off road - I took mine out for commuting, bimbles on the TPT and blasts round a MTB course. Until some ingrate nicked it just before Christmas...
That bar-end shifter just looks and feels wrong. Cross top levers (now gone) were also useful in tight handling situations. Shifting from 2x10 to 1x10 looks to be more saving on cost to accommodate the hydraulics brakes.
To top it all off... switching from muted black/grey to lime green. Ew. After six hours in the saddle, I feel like vomiting anyway. With this, everyone would.
The fork is full carbon btw, on both 2013 and 2014 models.
- Just in: Pinnacle Arkose 21 year 3 weeks agoThe fork's all carbon and may
The fork's all carbon and may be the same as some others (who may use the carbon or Al steerer option, not sure), it's an open-mold fork. No secrets or thefts there )
An XT mech with a 36T would be nice but Shimano 10s MTB is a different pull ratio which means no bar-end shifter (Microshift don't have a 10S MTB bar/thumb shifter). SRAM would work but bumps the price up a fair bit and we didn't initially intend this as a bike used where fast shifts or wider ratios are important. More of a simpler all-round bike, just a different option. Feedback from off road use is good though and the bar-end is easier in use than many expect (I have a SS MTB and another with thumb shifters so I'm quite happy riding it off-road).
I think bikes that some people don't see the point in and others 'get' right away are great, so we thought we'd make a few to see how it went. It's also raised a few conversations that help us all think through how a bike can be used or specified.
- Road to ruin: Councils warn they may have to ignore pothole repairs on some roads1 year 3 weeks agoI'll put up with some pot
I'll put up with some pot holes if there going to close the roads to cars.
A local road I use for my day commute was close to all traffic for a couple of months last summer. I was able to get round the building work on my bike and it made 5 miles of my commute just about car free, it was brilliant.