- Shimano RT82 SPD shoe1 year 6 days agothegibdog wrote:No reason youthegibdog wrote:
No reason you can't use these for racing too if you prefer SPDs. These are very similar to the R087 which I also have and I've noticed no difference between the two in terms of performance (or lack of in my case!) - I just wish they come in a size 46.5 wide fit.
I agree, but the sole isn't quite as stiff as one made from crabon and really darling, two bolt cleats? SO not pro...
- group sets...an idiots guide1 year 6 days agoYes but Obree is rather
Yes but Obree is rather special and does things his own way. If that was the best way, the other top riders would all be doing it.
- Suggestions/requests for the 2014 season1 year 6 days agoOnly one change from me, a
Only one change from me, a captain scenario like fantasy footie.
Pick your captain for the start of a race and you keep him throughout and he scores double points for you in each stage whether its a one dayer or a stage race.
All in all i've enjoyed this season a lot even though i haven't done to well.
- Fantasy 'team' competition for 20141 year 6 days agoYeah, I got in a bit of a mix
Yeah, I got in a bit of a mix using the terms 'players' and 'teams' so its not the clearest explanation.
Other than having a handful of players to 'run' the teams there shouldn't be a great deal of extra work needed, you just join a league for your team and then I do a bit of maths after each race.
The team 'owners' or 'captains' would be the only ones with any responsibilities, they would have to 'pick' their team ahead of each race.
On the other hand, we could just have 9 players per team and each one competes in each race. Whatever people are happiest with.
- Fantasy 'team' competition for 20141 year 6 days agoAs for scoring, if the the
As for scoring, if the the leagues all have the same number of teams then add all the scores in a league and divide by the number of teams.
Maybe we could test out a "captain" rider who, like fantasy footie, gets double points but you have to nominate him prior to a race ?
- Suggestions/requests for the 2014 season1 year 6 days agoThe game is great. Two
The game is great. Two requests, one big, one small.
1. Mobile app. You know it makes sense!
2. Big warning if you are playing purist and are making transfers in the middle of the spring classics and get confused about the unlimited transfer windows. Almost lost my purist status!
I have to say that the pricing in Vuelta made picking a team harder and more enjoyable as a result of having more choice.
- Fantasy 'team' competition for 20141 year 6 days agoAye, i understood it after a
Aye, i understood it after a couple of read throughs, spent the day picking fruit at a local farm and i think i got to much sun on my head
- Fantasy 'team' competition for 20141 year 6 days agoYeah, it'd only run on free
Yeah, it'd only run on free to play races to try and open it up to more people. Grand tours and free entry classics.
If it wasn't clear then try this as an example using three men teams as an example:
Team 1, drheaton, Gkam, Dave Atkinson
Team 2, wig_billy, TERatcliffe, Stumps
Team 3, Enrique, livestrongnick, JAndrewHill
We'd use some combination of each players scores over the race to determine which 'team' wins the race so either sum of each players total score, sum of of the middle scores (excludes the best and worst to avoid one player carrying a team etc) or something along those lines, scoring is open to debate.
- Vuelta Stage 3: Chris Horner becomes oldest Grand Tour stage winner, and oldest man to lead one of them1 year 6 days agoGot to love it!
Horner is the
Got to love it!
Horner is the man, take the stage win and the red jersey after laying off racing for 4 months and needing knee surgery after the mad Tirreno Adriatico.
Will someone give this man a contract for next year, or two!
- Fantasy 'team' competition for 20141 year 6 days agoIt took me a few times
It took me a few times reading this before i got what you were on about.
Now that i know then count me in, it sounds really good but are you going to include non premium players as they would not normally be included in some of the races ?
- WTD : Genesis Croix De Fer 60cm1 year 6 days agoPM sent
- Sir Bradley Wiggins: Cycle helmets should be compulsory, and iPods banned while riding bike1 year 6 days ago… I wonder if Sir Wiggins has
… I wonder if Sir Wiggins has been taken on to a board of a company that manufactures cycle helmets? Seems to be going down the same route as the annoyance that is Cracknell, who can't pass a sentence about cycling and road safety without mentioning compulsory helmet wearing, due to his links with a cycle helmet manufacturer and the scarey thing is he his now standing as an MEP for the South West!!!!!
Personally if I am out for a ride I wear a helmet, if tootling to the shop's then no. I think Chris Boardman who has worked with British Cycling is a better mouthpiece on cycle safety, we need to be sorting the cause of the problem, not putting the onus on the victims.
- group sets...an idiots guide1 year 6 days agoGraeme Obree reckons 8 is the
Graeme Obree reckons 8 is the optimum number for a cassette.
- Suggestions/requests for the 2014 season1 year 6 days agoAgreed, some women's races
Agreed, some women's races would be good. Regarding non-world tour races I'm not sure, I really enjoyed some of the early ones like the Tour de Med and Tour of the Algarve, just a case of getting the right balance.
There are plenty of big gaps in the world tour calendar and plenty of big non-world tour races there to fill those gaps, just a case of using the right races at the right time.
- Suggestions/requests for the 2014 season1 year 6 days agoI dont think there needs to
I dont think there needs to be any major changes for next season in my eyes, apart from getting some woman's races in there.
The calendar needs shuffled around a bit, I think only World Tour races should be in there.
That's my 2p worth and I fully expect this thread to be taken over by "someone" shortly and I won't be back to read it
- Surrey launches Drive Smart campaign as cyclist casualties rise dramatically1 year 6 days agoWhy would you take the Harley
Why would you take the Harley to B&Q more like...(?!)
- London Cycle Exchange launches1 year 6 days agoLets hope it does well and
Lets hope it does well and expands down the market.
- group sets...an idiots guide1 year 6 days agoA 10 mile TT is different
A 10 mile TT is different from a 50+ run with 6,000 ft of climbing
- The Science of Cycology: can you draw a bicycle?1 year 6 days agoMaybe the takehome message is
Maybe the takehome message is that most people don't have the brains that God gave a bag of wet mice?
- Organisers of Wiggle sportive criticised for not telling locals about event1 year 6 days ago@abudhabichris - yes you do
@abudhabichris - yes you do try and ensure space and apply common sense. The trouble is controlling a horse with precision is something you will only really find in dressage horses and they are very rare and very expensive.
Horses can spook very easily, sometimes a shadow can set them off and if a horse bolts on you, there is very little you can do short of dragging it to the ground via the reins which is very very dangerous for horse and rider. Generally you let them run it off as far as is possible.
Something that is worth bearing in mind is that horses can be downright nasty. I have had a few kick out, rear buck and do everything to get me off. If you're an apprentice stable lad you might find yourself on something like this from time to time and it is not fun.
My real concern on horses & cyclists is where racehorses and cyclists might meet (eg Epsom downs for instance). There are a lot of stallions around there (intact males with one thing on their mind) which can be feral. A kick from a fit powerful racehorse can very easily be fatal and imagining that horses can be controlled like some domestic pet is incorrect.
As I said above, roads are generally only used by horses to connect up fields with bridleways and gallops and yes horse riders will pretty much always take all sensible precautions
- The Science of Cycology: can you draw a bicycle?1 year 6 days agoThe bicycle sketch looks
The bicycle sketch looks weird to me, I had to stop and think but mainly I was pondering how wiggly the bike was drawn.
- Suggestions/requests for the 2014 season1 year 6 days agoLast post from me, one thing
Last post from me, one thing I'd like to see more of is badges!
They were a great addition and added a great amount of fun at the start of year as we all tried to complete the set as quickly as possible. Unfortunately that's eased off in the last few months as most of us have managed to get them all so I'd like to see this idea expanded on.
Whether it's race specific badges (feeding into a 'race badge' that shows on your main dashboard, a TdF badge for example that you only get if you collect all the TdF specific badges) or just more variety or harder to get badges (a 20k points badge anyone?) I think it'd be nice if players were collecting these all year around.
Another thing along the same lines is something I suggested last yeardrheaton wrote:
4) Fantasy jersey competitions - another thing to aim for when playing the grand tours, a selection of jerseys awarded to winners of particular comps:
- a GC jersey awarded for whoever finishes 1st overall along with the bike, a black jersey possibly something road.cc themed.
- a points jersey based on sprint stages or combined sprint points, either whichever teams gets the most intermediate sprint and flat finish line points over a race or maybe whoever scores highest just on flat stages, based on intermediate sprints would keep it interesting throughout though as you have to keep up with breaks in the mountains.
- a mountains jersey like the points but for KoM points/mountain stages
ideally these would be biased to make it very difficult to win them whilst still playing for overall placing, ie base it heavily on breakaway points (the KoM in particular) so that you need to pick the breaks and possibly suffer in the overall as a result, that'd make it something entirely separate to aim for like the riders aim for the KoM comp sacrificing their overall standings. Moreover, these aren't big cost prizes and are just for fun/pride.
- Suggestions/requests for the 2014 season1 year 6 days agoOn the other hand there have
On the other hand there have been some issues this year, around the time of the classics the calendar was changed a few times to try and incorporate extra races.
The short notice and changeable race calendar did annoy people understandably and I think one thing people want for next year is consistency of calendar.
With the way that the game has expanded so quickly races have been added at a steady rate but I think that'll slow soon as there aren't many major races left to add. I think that a calendar should be fixed fairly far in advance and changes should be avoided. You can't fault us for wanting to give you more racing though
Some discussion on the calendar was had here:
Another issue that cropped up is rider pricing, the strong field for the TdF threw up an issue where everyone was expensive to the point of making picking teams very difficult. This in itself is no bad thing, difficulty is a good thing but not at the expense of fun. Dave has made some changes for the Vuelta and I'll be reserving judgement until after the race but it certainly seems that there are more options at more price ranges so that's good.
- Sir Bradley Wiggins: Cycle helmets should be compulsory, and iPods banned while riding bike1 year 6 days agoIf I wear enough gel my hair
If I wear enough gel my hair becomes a helmet, that would pass under a helmet compulsory act. Right?
- Lance Armstrong settles £1 million Sunday Times lawsuit1 year 6 days agoOk, I wanted to give him a
Ok, I wanted to give him a break, everybody doped etc.... but this is a serious character flaw that I can't overlook.