- Essex helmetcam cyclist claims footage has led to 60 convictions and warnings1 day 4 hours agoYes there's plenty of
Yes there's plenty of cyclists who ride badly/dangerously, but they still seem to be a much smaller minority than the number of people who text/call while driving, let alone any other offences. And as people have alluded here, if a cyclist isn't paying total attention, the majority of times it's they themselves who will come off worse, rather than when someone's driving a big old metal box while tweeting about it.
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 4 hours agoIt's warmer than winter.
It's warmer than winter.
- Ultegra V 1051 day 4 hours agonew bar tape a few/ half a
new bar tape a few/ half a dozen times a year is no bad thing anyway, let alone for the advantage you get from new cable outers.
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 4 hours agoI love the dry crisp autumn
I love the dry crisp autumn mornings best, when you can see the effort you've put in by the breath output and steam rising from your tired heap of a body...and that nice warming shower after a good lengthy cycle....
- Video: magpie repeatedly attacks Aussie cyclist1 day 4 hours agoAnyone else have a buzzard
Anyone else have a buzzard come at you? Be fascinated to hear, as I'm quite interested in bird behaviour. I'm assuming since you're in Glasgow we're talking Common Buzzard. Never had an issue in Ayrshire. Had a few quite deliberate swoops from gulls during nesting time, and been nearly knocked off my bike a couple of times in the Highlands by pheasants flying out of hedges as I passed, but never any agro from a buzzard. Just be glad we're not in Orkney or Shetland......
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 4 hours agoThe best thing about cycling
The best thing about cycling in Autumn is that I can get my monies worth out of the expensive leg and arm warmers that have been at the back of my cycling drawer all summer!
- Chris Boardman calls for free bikes on the NHS1 day 4 hours agoSidi 700c wrote:This countrySidi 700c wrote:
This country is hostile to cyclists and we are treated as second class citizens on the road. We all know it.
There are lots of knob-heads on the road, we all know that. They come in/on all types of transport, we all know that. The idea that 'the country' is hostile to cyclists is stretching things... a lot
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 4 hours agoNo thanks.... ;@)
No thanks.... ;@)
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 4 hours agoLidl gear can only get you so
Lidl gear can only get you so far..
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 4 hours agoRain in the face, and the sun
Rain in the face, and the sun rising.
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 4 hours agoother men commenting on the
other men commenting on the size of my mud flap
- Essex helmetcam cyclist claims footage has led to 60 convictions and warnings1 day 4 hours agoI really think that dashboard
I really think that dashboard cameras should be compulsory in cars. Not only would it make insurance claims simpler and disputes easier to resolve (and would probably reduce premiums too!), it would also make drivers less likely to see cyclists as "above the law" by giving them some degree of accountability. (This is also one of the virtues of blackboxes: they give concrete evidence when it's needed.)
Cyclists should also wear cameras, of course, for their own protection, but that can't really be legislated for.
- Essex helmetcam cyclist claims footage has led to 60 convictions and warnings1 day 4 hours agoNot trying to sell the
Not trying to sell the Blackvue but it records speed, maps where the driver has been (like Strava I suppose) saves days of footage, sounds like a good piece of kit and I want one!
After a few days I would have enough footage to keep the Police busy for some time; but very little would be of cyclists.
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 4 hours agoCrisp, clear mornings!
Crisp, clear mornings!
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 4 hours agoCrunchy, dead leaves;
Crunchy, dead leaves; slippery, wet leaves; wet drain and manhole covers; clear and crispy mornings; seeing my breath at traffic lights; steamed-up sunglasses; rosy cheeks; and any excuse for cake.
- Eddy Merckx SanRemo76 road bike1 day 4 hours agoI'm off to check my tyres....
I'm off to check my tyres....
- Crack in steel frame1 day 4 hours agoredmeat wrote:Steel is real!redmeat wrote:At least it stayed in one piece unlike carbon would if it failed
Steel is real! Wait...
It's also probably much older than any Carbon still on the road...
- Chris Boardman calls for free bikes on the NHS1 day 4 hours agojames123 wrote:I read it thatjames123 wrote:
I read it that he is suggesting exactly that
How is he "suggesting exactly that"? Can you copy and paste from the article the quote where he suggests free bikes on the NHS?
Helpful hint here for you, the headline is not a quote.
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 5 hours agoMists and mellow
Mists and mellow fruitfulness.
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 5 hours agoMy favourite thing about the
My favourite thing about the autumn is the fact that the fair weather cyclists pack up and put their feet up for the winter, leaving the roads free to the real hard men of cycling... those who hammer the pedals day in, day out... what ever the weather... "Rule #5"
oh... and the changing colour of the leaves is really pretty...
- Ultegra V 1051 day 5 hours agoKiwiMike wrote:Scoob_84KiwiMike wrote:Scoob_84 wrote:
Both my bikes run 105 (5800) and the difference in the performance between the two was huge. The newer of the two group sets shifted like a dog whist the older set was light as a feather. If you were blind tested you'd think they were different groupsets.
The only difference between the two was that i was using 2 year old jagwire cable outers on the new groupset whilst the older set was set up with brand new cable outers.
Swap out your cables every 1-2000km. It's £10 worth of hardwear* and 20 minutes, max. for a vastly improved experience.
* a lot less if you buy in bulk.
Are you just referring to swapping the inners though? Swapping the outers necessitates new bar tape and the time to fit, surely?
- Essex helmetcam cyclist claims footage has led to 60 convictions and warnings1 day 5 hours ago"What kind of crimes would be
"What kind of crimes would be uncovered on a daily basis if motorists unleashed digital cameras"
Maybe someone should invent a 'car-cam'?
Oh bugger, someone already has....
So next time some stupid cyclist tired, over worked and paying more attention to his on bike tech than where he is going kills some poor innocent lorry driver it could be on film!
- Andy Schleck set to announce retirement?1 day 5 hours agoI was just wondering during
I was just wondering during the World Champs and Lombardy whether Andy Schleck would retire at the end of this season. Some people make disparaging comments about him as a rider, and I have made flippant comments about him too, but out of frustration more than anything else. When he was in form I bet a total over over £200 on him to win various races, only to see him fade away and pull out of each one. So at least I did put my money where my mouth was and I thought he should have been a winner.
I can't imagine the frustration that he must feel himself when what should have been the best years of his career went off like a damp squib. Andy Schleck should have been one of the greats.
Now what will he do? Who wants a commentator who can only say "well when I pulled out of this race in 2011," or "well I never actually rode this part of the stage because I was in the car..."?
- Essex helmetcam cyclist claims footage has led to 60 convictions and warnings1 day 5 hours agowillvousden wrote:At worst,willvousden wrote:
At worst, it foments division and conflict between two (imagined) species of road user.
It does exactly this, I almost think it has the intention of that, they treat it like some kind of 'conflict' out on the road.
Just look at the YouTube channels of some of these guys, watch a view of their videos. You can see a good number of them try to irritate and instigate a reaction from people, so they can whack it up on YouTube and get some more likes, and more fuel to stoke the fire. They don't help the situation at all, just create more animosity between both parties.
Just a power trip for a lot of them in their sad little lives.
- Win! Vulpine autumn clothing bundle worth over £5001 day 5 hours agoIt's cold, dark, wet and
It's cold, dark, wet and character building.