- VIDEO: Death-defying mountain descent, backwards1 day 3 hours ago80kph, my arse.
80kph, my arse.
- View from the cab: Lorry firm boss tells of effect of cyclist's death on the driver and the company (+ video)1 day 4 hours agocyclingDMlondon wrote:Out ofcyclingDMlondon wrote:
Out of interest, what's the reaction of drivers when you're in primary position? I've found that it only makes them more aggressive.
I think it depends on HOW you take that primary position.
Bimble along in the middle of the road looking as though you don't care, not acknowledging anyone behind and you're likely to cause a lot of aggro.
Glance back, indicate your intentions, be assertive, make the effort to speed up a bit (so it's obvious you're trying to minimise any hold up to them) and then pull back to the left when clear/safe and most drivers will understand what you've done and why.
Certainly with lorry drivers, I do that all the time and I've never had any problems. Usually get a friendly left/right/left on the indicators when they come past.
- VIDEO: Death-defying mountain descent, backwards1 day 4 hours agoMad as a fish....and the
Mad as a fish....and the point.
- Updated: 'Respect Ride' in memory of Gateshead cyclist killed in bus collision cancelled at family's request1 day 4 hours agoMountain-Nic wrote:ThatMountain-Nic wrote:
That picture says it all - look where the cycle lane is - immediately adjacent to the give way lines - bonkers!
It's not actually a cycle-lane. The pic shows it is only across the mouth of the junction. I believe this is a common highways engineer "trick" that is supposed to visually remind/warn drivers pulling out from that junction that they need to look out for bikes.
- VIDEO: Death-defying mountain descent, backwards1 day 4 hours agoTAWATTTTTTTT
- Updated: Boris Johnson backs down from claiming campaigners are putting people off cycling1 day 4 hours agoI'm tickled by the idea that
I'm tickled by the idea that cycle campaigners are somehow responsible for the public perception that cycling is dangerous. When you tell your auntie or a work colleague that you cycle, and their response is "ooh, isn't that really dangerous?", is it because they've been reading a CTC press release, or David Hembrow's blog?
- Chris Froome says he'll prove cycling has drugs-free future by winning Tour de France again1 day 4 hours agoErr, is that the same Andy
Err, is that the same Andy Murray who is the worlds only living personality transplant donor.
- Specialized slammed over legal threat against Canadian bike shop using Roubaix name1 day 4 hours agoI'd be more concerned that
I'd be more concerned that his shop appears to be AN other 'brand' that's badging up gigantex rims and generic hubs making the unwise pay over the odds for a bog standard product that costs but a 1/4 of its RRP if you source direct yourself.
- Stolen Specialized Roubaix Elite - 20121 day 4 hours agoHey Charles..
It's a good
It's a good idea.. but not sure the landlord will agree.
Going to alarm my garage, and get much better locks.. not much more i can do..
- Should bike shops become collection points for on line sales?1 day 4 hours agochokofingrz wrote:It would bechokofingrz wrote:I think the advantage for the LBS is increased profit from labour, greater public awareness, and ancilliary sales.
It would be great for the customer to combine the price and variety of online with the service of local... unclear value for the LBS as they would do more labour and build customer relations but make fewer bike sales... I fail to see what value is in it for the online businesses though? They wouldn't want your head to be turned if they can meet your needs in full.
I agree, they wouldn't want heads turned, but there's no law that says you can only have parts delivered to your home address. No special agreement has to be reached.
I'm guessing that on line sellers won't make things "difficult" for customers using their LBS as the delivery address.
- Updated: Boris Johnson backs down from claiming campaigners are putting people off cycling1 day 4 hours agobambergbike wrote:Road Safetybambergbike wrote:
Road Safety Reduction Forum (http://rdrf.org.uk/2013/11/15/if-we-want-safer-roads-for-cycling-we-have...)
Um, agree, but they might not be happy to be called "Road Safety Reduction Forum".
- Updated: Boris Johnson backs down from claiming campaigners are putting people off cycling1 day 4 hours agoVery clever again from
Very clever again from Johnson.
He's said what he wanted to say but is now able to say he didn't say it.
- Stolen Specialized Roubaix Elite - 20121 day 4 hours agoReally sorry to hear you had
Really sorry to hear you had your bike stolen. What would you think to a wall mounted bike storage in your flat? Security and an art installation in one!
- Lance Armstrong apologises to Christophe Bassons - but Betsy Andreu labels 'Tour of Redemption' a sham1 day 4 hours agoCan we just have 1 Armstrong
Can we just have 1 Armstrong update a month with a summary of all his latest apologies, statements and whining. zzzzzz.
- Specialized slammed over legal threat against Canadian bike shop using Roubaix name1 day 4 hours agogazpacho wrote:Thegazpacho wrote:
I'm definitely not treating myself to a new Specialized S-works Venge Di2 now... I wish.
If you're quick to the tip you can have the MacLaren S Works Venge I've just thrown away in protest.
- Chris Froome says he'll prove cycling has drugs-free future by winning Tour de France again1 day 4 hours agoSPOTY - the sporting award
SPOTY - the sporting award that no pro sportsman really gives a stuff about.
I think Tom Daley should win.
- Lance Armstrong apologises to Christophe Bassons - but Betsy Andreu labels 'Tour of Redemption' a sham1 day 4 hours agoColin PeyresourdeColin Peyresourde wrote:
Eventually the cycle of denial will flick through to realisation that everyone knows he's a cheating manipulative cnut and then eventually regret/sorrow that he was caught.
Fixed for you.
- Updated: Boris Johnson backs down from claiming campaigners are putting people off cycling1 day 4 hours agoI actually think Boris is
I actually think Boris is doing a reasonable job; not perfect, and certainly not how I'd do it , but reasonable, and in extremely difficult circumstances.
- Northwave Extreme GTX winter boots1 day 4 hours agoMartin Thomas wrote:StandingMartin Thomas wrote:
Standing in a puddle for ten minutes... You road.cc guys know how to have a good time don't you?
You should see us testing the waterproof hats. It's a riot.
Thanks for all the other feedback, folks.
Quick update: I've used the boots in two more winter events recently - the Saxon CX Sportive near Salisbury, and the Performance Cycles minisportive in the Cotswolds. For both rides, conditions were cold, wet and muddy, but these boots kept my feet warm and dry throughout.
- Christmas Gifts for cyclists from the road.cc shop1 day 5 hours agoThese days a road.cc sock is
These days a road.cc sock is my stocking.
- Specialized slammed over legal threat against Canadian bike shop using Roubaix name1 day 5 hours agocrazy-legs wrote:I'd love tocrazy-legs wrote:
I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Specialized HQ this morning.
Their Twitter and Facebook pages have remained silent this weekend, given that it's only just coming up to 5 in the morning in Morgan Hill I'd imagine we are 3/4 hours from a response from an exasperated Specialised worker who is in over their heads and having the worst Monday ever.
- VIDEO: Death-defying mountain descent, backwards1 day 5 hours agoSarah Barth wrote:It's a bitSarah Barth wrote:
It's a bit jerky because of the way it's filmed but doesnt look sped up to me.
The way it's filmed? At 1 minute in 1080p it's clearly sped up.
- VIDEO: Death-defying mountain descent, backwards1 day 5 hours agoIt also strikes me that,
It also strikes me that, technically, he's cycling forward but only facing backward. He should try cycling backward, that would be impressive.
- Video: Highlights of some of 2013's most memorable cycle racing moments1 day 5 hours agoFroome won Tour. Socks?
Froome won Tour. Socks?
- Neck pain the morning after cycling..1 day 5 hours agoHave you had a proper bike
Have you had a proper bike fit on the bike you're currently riding?